Steelcase Leap V1

Associate
Jay Psi - how can you tell if the padding is new or not?

I'm not sure you can - I asked before I bought it to make sure. I doubt 2ndhnd would get away with using cheap padding without marking the chair as such.

ok it appears the chair has a fault - the lever to adjust the height of the seat - when the seat is at its lowest position, pulling the lever doesn't make the chair raise - so must be a faulty gas cylinder or lever or something - contacted the seller..

Definitely not working and not just hard to move or slow to work? I was a little surprised at how slow the gas lift was on mine too (compared to the relative jerk of my old chair), but it does work reliably. It is the most likely part to fail or just run out, particularly on much older chairs such as the V1, but I would expect this to have been checked beforehand.

Sorry to hear you've had an opposite experience to me - I'm kind of glad I had a dodgy box and scuffed wheels/base now!

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
If I get off the chair and pull the lever it does nothing, I have to pull the lever with one hand and then force the chair up with the other at the same time. I'd have thought being that chair height is probably the most fundamental adjustment this would work properly..

Associate
I bought a Steelcase Leap V2 refurbished off an auction site and had problems straight away with the seat moving to it's highest position when no one was sitting on it.

The seller was very good and took me through how to remove the seat pan and adjust the gas lift screw. Sadly it still did it from time to time and i also found the front lip of the seat pan caused pains in the backs of my thighs.

I sent it back and bought a refurbished RH Chairs Logic 400 from the same seller, which had a more pronounced waterfall edge to the seat.

Two years later and i'm still happy with the chair.

It's not sofa comfortable but i no longer get aches and pains after gaming for long periods.

Associate
Smr, any updates on the chair? I'm halfway between recommending 2ndhnd to a colleague but after hearing about your experience I'm holding off.

I sent it back and bought a refurbished RH Chairs Logic 400 from the same seller, which had a more pronounced waterfall edge to the seat.

Two years later and i'm still happy with the chair.

It's not sofa comfortable but i no longer get aches and pains after gaming for long periods.

Funnily enough, that's exactly why I didn't like the RH Logic, which was a bit of a shame because it was the only chair I tried with a properly integrated headrest (I know you can get them for other chairs, but they are afterthoughts at best).

Good to hear your choice is suiting you well.

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
I'm not that impressed tbh, I doubt I'd use them again, the chair has noticeably got creakier the last few days - or at least I've noticed it more...

Every movement on it is *creaaak* *creak* *creaaaaaakk* ..unless that's how these chair are ? I know it's second hand - but it's a bit annoying.

The left arm pad does look horrific - again I know it's second hand, but when the seller describes the chair as in good condition - but this is extremely bad condition - well maybe rather than summise the overall condition of the chair you should take the time to describe each part - so the base, gas lift, arms, etc. it wouldn't take long at all - and afterall you're asking for a few hundred pounds PER customer each time you sell something. I think you can put the effort in therefore for more than a few lines of text.

As for the gas lift he's said his driver will do a swap out next week as he's up this way. That's a good thing I suppose.

The chair itself is comfortable and I do like it's adjustability and comfort, but going on the feedback of 2nd where some people say "you cant tell it from a new chair" ... just take note that that is not how it is for all the chairs they sell - it's basically a bit of a lottery as to how good a condition it is. Because I'd mark this chair as distinctly average condition.

smr

smr

Soldato
OP
2nd hnd are going to send me another chair out so hopefully this will be a better one! Thats good of them and the comms have been great, in fairness.

Soldato
2nd hnd are going to send me another chair out so hopefully this will be a better one! Thats good of them and the comms have been great, in fairness.

Yeah I brought mine from them and UPS had damaged the box so when I got the chair out the back was split, messaged that same seller and he sent out his van and they picked it up and brought me another, friendly guy too.

Associate
I have a Steelcase Please v2 (with headrest) and its a hell of a chair very similar to the Leap in terms of adjustments. I'd say subjectively that the Please has the better back and the Leap the better seat cushion the rest is down to your preferred look. Please arm rests are not padded but they are highly adjustable like the Leap's if that option is fitted. Headrest options seem to be rare and therefore pricey unfortunately Steelcase say you need a different back rest in order to fit it I think they are being cheeky personally.

Associate

Has your replacement chair arrived and, if so, how was it, as I've been following this with interest as I weigh up investing in one of these chairs

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Can anyone comment on their impression of the steelcase v1 compared to herman miller? HM are the only brands I've been able to try so far (John Lewis), and after researching a lot about them I found myself disappointed with first impressions of the Aeron. I much preferred the Mirra. The V1 has a much better price point and they seem to be in abundance at 2nd hnd.

Associate
Can anyone comment on their impression of the steelcase v1 compared to herman miller? HM are the only brands I've been able to try so far (John Lewis), and after researching a lot about them I found myself disappointed with first impressions of the Aeron. I much preferred the Mirra. The V1 has a much better price point and they seem to be in abundance at 2nd hnd.

I didnt like my Aeron. It tries to hold you too much and I found it uncomfortable.. The steel leaps are really good. It's more simple and more comfy to me.

Caporegime
I got a herman miller off ebay for £70. There was a local auction and i just messaged the seller. They were only selling the one on ebay but apparently had 12 of them. the one on ebay sold for around £150. When i went i got first pick out the lot and for the cheapest price too others had been sold through gumtree/facebook for around £200 each. It was an office closure and everything had to be gone within 3 days. I reckon had i offered £50 i still would have got it. Still £800 chair and mine was in like new condition as i got first pick for £70 aint bad.

Back
Top Bottom