TV, PC & 5.1

Associate
Hi all.

I have a 55” LG TV that I use as my PC monitor which is plugged into HDMI 1.

I also have a PS3 plugged into HDMI 3 and Sky plugged into the Scart.

I have 5.1 speakers that I would like to use with all attached devices but I would prefer if possible to use my PC’s soundblaster Z soundcard, is this possible?

I’m currently using an HDMI 2.0 cable from the GPU to HDMI 1 (10-bit, HD Deep Colour, NOT ARC, ARC is HDMI 2 which is not 10-bit) and an optical cable from the TV to the 5.1 speakers.

If I didn’t have anything else attached to the TV and it was just the PC then this wouldn’t be a problem but obviously having an optical cable go from my soundcard to the 5.1 speakers means it doesn’t work for the PS3 that’s connected to the TV’s HDMI port 3.

The Soundblaster Z does have both an optical in and optical out, so could I go TV -> SBZ in - SBZ out -> 5.1 speakers. Would that work?

Thanks

Kate.

Associate
should do but you wont get 5.1 (only when sbz is selected as audio output when playing media on pc you probably would) tv is likely to output stereo via optical out

Soldato
You could connect it up the way you have mentioned, but as the above poster says, you won't get proper 5.1 from the PS3. It will be upmixed from stereo to 5.1. If you don't mind that as long as you're getting sound from all speakers, then it should work OK. You might have to change some setting on the SBZ control panel so it recognises and plays the incoming audio.

If you'd prefer to get proper 5.1 from PS3 though, then that would have to be connected directly to the speaker system. If it's only got one optical input, then you'll have to use an optical toslink switcher. Not really sure how good they are though.

What speaker system is it?

Soldato
you'll have to use an optical toslink switcher. Not really sure how good they are though.

Was going to suggest the switcher, it'll connect 3 optical cables into one.

I've read of a few issues with the switcher being confused of which input to use but if you only have one device on at a time, you shouldn't have any issues.

Soldato
Logitech Z680, it's old but still works great.

I have looked at switchers before but the reviews weren't that great but I think I'll look again at some better ones.

Thanks.

Kate.

I've just bought one of these....

http://www.futureshop.co.uk/blustre...ac-audio-conversion-p-10568.html#.Vr09dtUbinM

Now, I haven't used it yet, too much left to sort out so I'm not yet recommending it on performance. However, I googled the life out of these things!!
This thing has a much more sensible physical design, all the cables in the back for example!
It's from a very well respected company, and appears to be their own unique design and not just their brand on generic hardware like most optical switches out there.
Mine came with an IR extension cable in the box too which is incredibly useful if you want a neat and tidy setup.

I've pulled it out of the box, and it feels substantial and well made, hard to explain but it just 'feels' like a quality piece of equipment.

Anyway, enough of my nonsense, just pointing out a viable option.

Last edited:
Soldato
Logitech Z680 has three inputs; coaxial, optical and 5.1 analogue. Using the analogue inputs would be the best way of connecting to the PC. At least that would make most use of the Z sound card when using the PC.

You could use the optical input on the Z680 to connect the PS3. That would unsure you're getting actual 5.1 from the PS3, rather than upmixed stereo, and connect the TV to the Soundblaster Z's optical input, so you can get sound from the Sky box to the speakers.

That's probably the way I'd do it without looking at using an optical switcher.

Associate
OP
Silly question, thought of a AV receiver if budget allows?

I haven't but I will take a look, thanks.

Chris [BEANS];29164951 said:

Thanks, I'll take a look at that.

Logitech Z680 has three inputs; coaxial, optical and 5.1 analogue. Using the analogue inputs would be the best way of connecting to the PC. At least that would make most use of the Z sound card when using the PC.

You could use the optical input on the Z680 to connect the PS3. That would unsure you're getting actual 5.1 from the PS3, rather than upmixed stereo, and connect the TV to the Soundblaster Z's optical input, so you can get sound from the Sky box to the speakers.

That's probably the way I'd do it without looking at using an optical switcher.

That sounds like a really good plan. I didn't even think about using all the seperate inputs. Just too focused on optical as everything had it.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom