Different Gauge for Ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Hello everyone!

I've been trying to sleeve/braid my modular cables with paracord and was failing miserably when I noticed that the reason for me not being able to get the cord (or heatshrink) into the plugs was that my new PSU (Bequiet Straight Power 700W) uses 16 AWG wires.

Of course, after pulling the same wire in and out of the plug two hundred thousand times it got a bit knackered and I had to bin it.

I thought I'd be a great idea (?..) to use the wires from the unused PCIe strand as they'd anyways be a tad shorter.

However, I've noticed that the 'double' wires are 18 AWG opposed to the 16 AWG of all the other wires.

Now (finally) my question;
Can I use the 18AWG wires for the CPU power ground after the original ones intended were 16AWG?

I'm assuming I'd be fine using them as the PCIe seems to carry two amps more according the the PSU manual, but I did want to check with somebody that maybe knows a bit more. :p

Many thanks!

Oh, and whilst I'm already here, can someone tell me if it matters if my grounds get mixed up from their factory config?
On the 2x4pin 12v connector for instance, they twist themselves in slightly confusing ways whilst the signal wires run nicely parallel to each other.
pins
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8
connect to pins
3 - 4 - 2 - 1 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8

I guess as they're common ground I should be able to run them straight 1-1 2-2 etc?

Question has been answered here, thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom