WD retires Green HDDs

Associate
Hey again guys.

@Vimes, I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're having with your drive. Unfortunately if you're unable to recover your data by using data recovery software or Ubuntu Live USB in hopes that it recognizes the drive properly, I'm afraid that the only option you're left with is a professional solution, such as a data recovery company. If this is the case you can check out that link: WD Data Recovery Partners.
However if you decide to go directly for RMA services, you can do that by going to our CS portal: WD SUPPORT PORTAL.
I'm sorry if I misunderstood you, but do you mean backup instead of encryption? Encrypting the data has nothing to do with backing it up on a separate drive or somewhere else like a cloud service. Encryption is used for protection your data from other people.

@slipd, basically @Vimes is right. You should backup any important data which you might have on that drive and hasn't been backed up already, just to be on the safe side. After that go ahead and download DLG (Data Lifeguard) and run both tests on that drive (Quick and Extended), to see if there's anything out of the ordinary. Here's how to do that: How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows
@stewski might have a point there about the WDidle, but that shouldn't happen while you're gaming.
You could also try the drive with a different computer, or at least a different SATA port and cables on yours, to see if the issue reoccurs.

Please let me know how it goes.

Soldato
Hey again guys.

@Vimes, I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're having with your drive. Unfortunately if you're unable to recover your data by using data recovery software or Ubuntu Live USB in hopes that it recognizes the drive properly, I'm afraid that the only option you're left with is a professional solution, such as a data recovery company. If this is the case you can check out that link: WD Data Recovery Partners.
However if you decide to go directly for RMA services, you can do that by going to our CS portal: WD SUPPORT PORTAL.
I'm sorry if I misunderstood you, but do you mean backup instead of encryption? Encrypting the data has nothing to do with backing it up on a separate drive or somewhere else like a cloud service. Encryption is used for protection your data from other people.

@slipd, basically @Vimes is right. You should backup any important data which you might have on that drive and hasn't been backed up already, just to be on the safe side. After that go ahead and download DLG (Data Lifeguard) and run both tests on that drive (Quick and Extended), to see if there's anything out of the ordinary. Here's how to do that: How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows
@stewski might have a point there about the WDidle, but that shouldn't happen while you're gaming.
You could also try the drive with a different computer, or at least a different SATA port and cables on yours, to see if the issue reoccurs.

Thanks for the reply :)

My concerns were more related to having to return such a drive with data which is both personal and of value on the hard drive without the possibility of being able to erase it before it would need to be returned for a warranty replacement.
If the drive had been encrypted that would have helped to negate such concerns.
However I have been in contact with WD and I am in receipt of a sensitive data form so I'll see what happens from there.

Associate
Oh, sorry for misinterpreting what you meant by that. You should have nothing to worry about when it comes to personal data, but of course don't just take my word for it and check out the form for yourself.
You can rest assured that non of your sensitive data and information will ever get out of WD.

Please keep me updated and let me know if anything comes up. :)

Soldato
Hey again guys.

Well, both those tests passed... maybe I just have a noisy drive :(

Associate
Sorry to hear that it's still causing issues. At one point you've mentioned that it sounds OK, but If you think that the drive is emitting more noise than it should, I'd recommend that you get in touch with our customer support and get to the bottom of this. Even though it passes the tests, if there's a problem with the HDD you should be able to get it replaced.

Just make sure that it is mounted properly and that there are no loose screws or anything.

Soldato
Sorry to hear that it's still causing issues. At one point you've mentioned that it sounds OK, but If you think that the drive is emitting more noise than it should, I'd recommend that you get in touch with our customer support and get to the bottom of this. Even though it passes the tests, if there's a problem with the HDD you should be able to get it replaced.

Just make sure that it is mounted properly and that there are no loose screws or anything.
Thanks Boogieman! I honestly haven't noticed it since running the tests and it certainly wasn't making excessive noise whilst running the app?

I physically unplugged my other mechanical drive and my ssd so that the wd drive was the only one connected. All fittings were checked ;)

I think if I start to notice it again I might have to return it - I've learnt the hard way that these intermittent issues don't generally get any better...

Associate
No problem.
You are right. If it wasn't a fluke or something and you're constantly experiencing unusual behaviour, then yes, I doubt that it will go away on its own.

Let me know if anything else comes up. :)

Associate
Vimes, sorry to see your drive is dead. Interesting it's failed catastrophically like that after working fine for a while, wasn't knocked or dropped while in operation or storage was it? I'm guessing not but it's a bit disturbing seeing it fail suddenly in such a way, certainly an eye opener. I must go and check backups are current ;)

At least you had backups and also that's visual confirmation that that specific model number/identifier code is a 5 platter drive.

Wish you better luck with your next drive. :)

Soldato
Vimes, sorry to see your drive is dead. Interesting it's failed catastrophically like that after working fine for a while, wasn't knocked or dropped while in operation or storage was it? I'm guessing not but it's a bit disturbing seeing it fail suddenly in such a way, certainly an eye opener. I must go and check backups are current ;)

At least you had backups and also that's visual confirmation that that specific model number/identifier code is a 5 platter drive.

Wish you better luck with your next drive. :)

The drive was placed in one of my microservers and then just left. The only downside to doing that is, due to the remoteness of the server, I'm just relying on any SMART warnings of impending drive failure - you can't hear clicks from such a distance.
Then again looking at those heads it would suggest and "event" rather than a deterioration of the drive.

As always both remote and local backups are in place and next time I'll be quicker to encrypt the contents of the drive.

Soldato
Finally the replacement drive has now arrived....

hopefully it will last a little longer than the last one...! Either way it will be encrypted first before data added.

Back
Top Bottom