CAT 6 RJ45 connectors

Soldato
I've looked these in the past and thought they were a really nice solution. It's a shame they take the **** with the pricing.

In reality for the few times it's actually worth attaching your own plugs the cost doesn't really matter that much, but I'd just resent paying that much for a single plug.

Also odd that their Cat6 plugs look identical to Cat5e plugs with the conductors all in a single row.

Last edited:
Associate
How many do you need? Maplin sell them off the shelf (N20CH). They're pretty decent. It's tricky finding 2/3 piece connectors for solid core!

Associate
solid cat6 has a different awg than stranded, so won't fit.

The issue is that a plug for stranded is designed to piece through the strands to form a contact, it can't do this with solid core cable, hence the plugs are different. The contacts for solid are split so they go around the solid core on both sides to conform.

Associate
The plugs differ for solid or stranded use.

Not what i listed the ones i listed are suitable for both cable types. You will be hard pressed to find stranded only CAT6/6A connectors nowadays (CAT 5 you can still easily get both)
The images here explain what are for which cable...
http://www.l-com.com/content/Article.aspx?Type=N&ID=10460
90% of CAT6 connectors nowadays are the types which straddle rather than pierce. I have personally used what i linked to on both cable types as i stated.

solid cat6 has a different awg than stranded, so won't fit.

No it does not CAT5E and CAT6 cable is either 26AWG 24AWG or 23AWG be it stranded or solid core. VERY FEW CAT5E cables are still 26AWG and VERY FEW CAT6 cables are 23AWG (though technically that is the spec for CAT6) still makes no difference to the connector crimp as a guide A 23AWG cable is 0.57mm wide, while a 24AWG cable is 0.52mm wide

CAT 6 cable is thicker physically and visually due to a thicker sheath (cover) and the plastic internal cross spine which separates the pairs.
The internal wire gauge is the same that being either 26AWG 24AWG or 23AWG (decent CAT5E and more than good enough CAT6 cable will be 24AWG).

CAT6 connectors have a larger opening to accept the thicker sheath and spine in the cable.
The issue is that a plug for stranded is designed to piece through the strands to form a contact, it can't do this with solid core cable, hence the plugs are different. The contacts for solid are split so they go around the solid core on both sides to conform.
Yep with CAT6 cable though "most" of the time if you buy half decent (2 part or greater) connectors they will work on both, here is also an overseas retailer selling the same connectors i pointed to and specifically saying the are suitable for both.... http://www.showmecables.com/product/Cat6-Connector-With-Guide.aspx

Last edited:
Permabanned
That load bar was the biggest pita when I used it on cat6 cable. They are so tiny and if you hold it aligned next to the strands there was one that wouldn't fit. Maybe I should have cut it diagonally like in the video and inserted the wires individually. Glad I will never have to do it again as I only needed to insert a plug so I could use a coupler to extend the cable.

Associate
My experience has been the opposite! I've found it hard to find the type suitable for solid.

Unless its very cheap or old stock most CAT6 connectors will do both cable types. For CAT5/E connectors its a different story and the market place is still flooded with all 3 types.

Definitely get the ones with the inserts.. Google RJ45 with inserts.

Makes life a lot easier, and less prone to making errors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymBNtDj7J4Q

Not only that but it staggers the cable which is what the CAT6 spec calls for, see.....
http://www.vpi.us/images/staggered-cat6.gif
and
http://www.dnrdataconnection.com/productImages/223.jpg
to make sense of what im saying there.

That load bar was the biggest pita when I used it on cat6 cable. They are so tiny and if you hold it aligned next to the strands there was one that wouldn't fit. Maybe I should have cut it diagonally like in the video and inserted the wires individually. Glad I will never have to do it again as I only needed to insert a plug so I could use a coupler to extend the cable.

It becomes easy once you have done a couple, CAT6 connectors with the separate cables guide/inserts normally make it easier for the new user. Stip outter sheath about an inch if new to making cables insert wires into the guide/insert in right order and sit it flush against the sheath, hold the guide/insert in that position while you trim the cables with your other hand flush to the guide/insert, Still holding the insert take the main body of the connector in your other hand and slide it over the top.

The only issue some people normally have is with rubbish connectors where the guide holes are larger than the individual cables and so they fall out easily before you can get the main connector body on to crimp. Sounds like you had the opposite issue and a couple of the holes were too small, that wont be down to the cable if the connectors were 2 part ones as they should be for CAT6 and up cabling, so the connectors/molding of them was likely the blame. 26AWG, 24AWG and 23AWG cables should all fit in a CAT6 2 part connector with no issues.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom