NAS over the internet.

Soldato
Sorry if this is a dumb question but...

Is it possible/Has anybody done NAS (or equivalent) over the internet?

The situation is that I have 4 PC's in several different locations and would like to have 1 small folder shared/synchronized between them (A bit like, I suppose, Onedrive. But I have never used onedrive and would prefer it to be entirely under my own control)

Man of Honour
It is perfectly possible - but security is something that would have to be taken fairly seriously - one solution would be to use the personal/private cloud options with QNAP and Synology NAS.

Soldato
Dropbox or one drive would probably be better but it is possible to do. Ideally you don't want your NAS open to the Internet so some kind of VPN server to connect to it would be best.

Associate
How far apart are the locations (ping time wise)? Some file sharing protocols are very latency dependent (performance-wise).

Associate
hang on a minute, what's wrong with having your synology NAS accessible via the net? How else do you stream any content off it when not on your own home wifi network?

I thought the whole point of having it and having EZ Internet function was to get access to it via the web...

Soldato
hang on a minute, what's wrong with having your synology NAS accessible via the net? How else do you stream any content off it when not on your own home wifi network?

I thought the whole point of having it and having EZ Internet function was to get access to it via the web...

If it's accessible via the internet then that means the "internet" in general can access it. There are some rather shady people lurking on the internet and often backdoors are just that, they are not known until it is too late.

Back
Top Bottom