Am I being daft? (pulling out of house move due to broadband speed)

Soldato
BT currently deliver me a stable, low-latency 50Mb down and 20Mb up, and I do not find it limiting in the slightest.

This. I'm not sure why people are saying 'if there's no Virgin Media, don't even bother'. When I bought 2 years back, I decided I wanted BT over Virgin for the twice as fast upload speed. Really don't notice the difference from 100MB to 56MB. Most services can't provide you info at that speed anyway!

Permabanned
You also don''need'' electricity, or a car by that logic...

Only thing silly is accepting some crap early 2000's (3mb) internet speed in 2016... That is unacceptable in a modern country.

or 2 hours instead of 1 hour for a small 50 gb download...

A 50gb download isn't small though is it? Just because you are at the super extreme end of data usage doesn't mean 100mb is essential for the 99% rest of us.

I downgraded my parents 100mb to 50mb when I lived there for a while. They would never notice the difference, and to me and most other people a low latency 20mb connection is enough. If all the country to get that as a minimum everyone would be happy.

On a 16mb internet connection now here in Poland and currently downloading a 720p movie will take 20 minutes. I can wait 20 minutes.

People get addicted to downloading EVERYTHING and then deleting half of it. Just don't do that.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The Vendor's estate agents came on the phone last night.

They said their I.T. experts had looked into it and said I was wrong, and the house is served by cabinet 92 and can get 332Mb/s lol. No such speed available.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Get it in writing and have completion dependent on installation being carried out to that house (in your name, BT don't check that the homeowner is buying the service).

Soldato
A 50gb download isn't small though is it? Just because you are at the super extreme end of data usage doesn't mean 100mb is essential for the 99% rest of us.

I downgraded my parents 100mb to 50mb when I lived there for a while. They would never notice the difference, and to me and most other people a low latency 20mb connection is enough. If all the country to get that as a minimum everyone would be happy.

On a 16mb internet connection now here in Poland and currently downloading a 720p movie will take 20 minutes. I can wait 20 minutes.

People get addicted to downloading EVERYTHING and then deleting half of it. Just don't do that.

that is true..

but it's all down to what the person uses the connection for and how many people/devices are in your house using the connection at the same time, if your just going to be surfing the net, download afew things, use FB and only have 1 or 2 people using it then a low speed connection that would be fine, if you have many people/devices in your house using the connection at the same time a low connection won't be enough even more so if you've got gamer's in the house downloading large games etc.

Last edited:
Associate
Ive asked for the vendor to do a speedtest and let me know the result.

But couldn't anyone just fake a speed test result/ copy paste one off the internet?

No way he is going to go out of his way to prove his ip address/ validate it for you?

IF he can get you written confirmation from both himself and an isp AND your solicitor can add into the contract that X amount is subject to satisfactory internet speeds of XYZ then maybe?

Btw I'm In Bolton (Lostock) whereabouts are you buying? My area has virgin media but no fttc.

Personally- if its early stages and you haven't put any significant money into it/ it's not your dream house- I'd walk away..

Soldato
OP
But couldn't anyone just fake a speed test result/ copy paste one off the internet?

No way he is going to go out of his way to prove his ip address/ validate it for you?

IF he can get you written confirmation from both himself and an isp AND your solicitor can add into the contract that X amount is subject to satisfactory internet speeds of XYZ then maybe?

Btw I'm In Bolton (Lostock) whereabouts are you buying? My area has virgin media but no fttc.

Personally- if its early stages and you haven't put any significant money into it/ it's not your dream house- I'd walk away..

If the result they provide is favorable and wildly different to the estimated 4Mb I would request another house viewing and to witness it.

CodeLook is a good website to find out whats going on with Fibre with regards to cabinets. There doesn't seem to be any pattern as to why some cabinets are not down for upgrade the ones not down for upgrade are randomly dotted about.

The home I was buying is in the Haugh area (Cabinet 121) , most of the street is served by cabinert 37 and is Fibre enabled.:confused:

Currently up Chorley Old Road, Cabinet 9.

Soldato
OP
Just to update you on this.

The vendor has finally agreed to supply me with the landline number for the property.

What is strange is that with the landline number the BT wholesale broadband checker says it can get Fiber from Cabinet 99 which according to CodeLook isn't anywhere near the property??

All the other broadband checkers I have tried also say that landline is good to go regarding fibre??

*edit* i have just spoken to BT and they were confused about it too and after speaking to a manger they couldn't give me a definite yes or no :confused: whether I could get it or not. The best they could do is tell me to move in and see.. :rolleyes:

Associate
Kinda glad to see all of these responses.
My parents have just shelled out £1600 as part of a community effort to get FTTP installed to the area
Currently they are stuck with around 1.2Mb download and even that is sketchy as hell
If they decide to move at some point, it seems the internet would be one massive drawback to the house.

Caporegime
Surely eventually the property will end up with fibre or some form of superfast broadband?

For me, if the house was perfect in every other way, crappy broadband wouldn't stop me.

Soldato
Erm... okay? I had around 100mb and now I have around 50mb. I honestly don't notice any difference. Most sites/providers/servers can't make use of such speed anyway!

**EDIT** Where I do notice a difference is BT's upload speed being twice as fast as Virgin. HD video's do actually upload twice as quick, saving me a lot of time :)

Man of Honour
I had PlusNet 40/10, went to Virgin 152mbit and it was as crap as I ever remember Virgin being. Everything streaming wise was just pathetic. Terrible over congested network.

Man of Honour
I am sorry but anyone who says 100mb is overkill, has never lived with 100mb day-to-day. I went from 60mb back to 2mb when i changed properties and it was the stuff of nightmares.

I have or had all kinds of connections - even having "gigabit" speeds for awhile (more like 300-400Mbit realistically) honestly have no problem going back to anything down to 50Mbit/s and can live with down to about 30Mbit/s before I'm in any way seriously inconvenienced.

Associate
I have or had all kinds of connections - even having "gigabit" speeds for awhile (more like 300-400Mbit realistically) honestly have no problem going back to anything down to 50Mbit/s and can live with down to about 30Mbit/s before I'm in any way seriously inconvenienced.

Hmm going down in speeds can really suck.

When I moved over to the UK after I finished my Uni degree in Sweden where we had 100mbit in the student accommodation going back to 56k dialup was so bad I stopped going online for a few years lol.

But yeah if its still a reasonably good fast connection its just matter of having to wait a bit longer for downloads and if everything else is fast/snappy enough it's not a huge deal.

However I would not move to a house where I couldn't get some kind of fibre connection as it is one of my top priorities when it comes to looking for a new property.

Back
Top Bottom