How to speed up Wi-fi

Permabanned
So I have around 750 mbps connection when using cable directly from the wall. However, when using my TP-LINK AC1200 on the 5.0 ghz frequency I cant get out more than 95 mbps.

I had my laptop right next to the modem, doesn't change anything. Same story on my Iphone 6s (on Wi-Fi)

What can I do?

It's great speed regardless but I why not utilize the full potential?

Last edited:
Associate
Is this an all in one cable/wifi box?

If so, it's most likely the box. You should be able to disable wifi on the box and then purchase a 'good' wifi router, plug that into the box.... should do the trick.

If not, then upgrade to a 'good' wifi router.

(Unless there's something unique about UK telecom that I'm not aware of.)

Soldato
Buy a better AP, check out

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18726947

Ubiquiti Pro AP

1725307674.png

Last edited:
Associate
You will need something 802.11ac (as above) for those kinds of speeds. I doubt you'll ever get the full potential of the connection over Wi-Fi though.

Permabanned
OP
Is this an all in one cable/wifi box?

If so, it's most likely the box. You should be able to disable wifi on the box and then purchase a 'good' wifi router, plug that into the box.... should do the trick.

If not, then upgrade to a 'good' wifi router.

(Unless there's something unique about UK telecom that I'm not aware of.)

No, its an ethernet plug in the wall that you can connect straight to computer. Mine is connected straight to the router

The TP LINK I've mentioned in OP should be able to handle these speeds on paper, so I dont know.

Last edited:
Soldato
Of course it does! If the router only has a 10/100 Ethernet WAN port then that's all you'll ever see on your LAN (wired or wireless).

To exploit a 750Mbps connection you need a router with a Gigabit WAN port. You also need something fairly high-end as many routers with Gigabit WAN ports don't get anywhere near being able to route that fast.

Man of Honour
I'm reading it as he's testing LAN speeds and not WAN speeds.

If he has 750mbps WAN the as you say he needs a fairly decent router, such as an EdgeRouter or higher end Draytek.

Soldato
Starts by saying he can get 750 Mbps connected with a cable directly to the wall. He must almost certainly be testing WAN bandwidth.

His 95Mbps limit with the TP-Link is suspiciously close to the limits of Fast Ethernet.

Also if the router is only capable of Fast Ethernet then that's the switch the wireless will be connected to internally.

We need to know the router's model and its specs.

Man of Honour
I read wall and assumed cable into the router or into a homeplug. Reading it again you may be correct, he's probably got 1 gig internet, 750 mbps+ seems to be the right sort of speedtest you could expect.

Associate
So I have around 750 mbps connection when using cable directly from the wall.

can you explain more, ie what exactly is connected, to what and where are you getting the 750mbs figure from?

Permabanned
OP
So I have around 750 mbps connection when using cable directly from the wall.

can you explain more, ie what exactly is connected, to what and where are you getting the 750mbs figure from?

I read wall and assumed cable into the router or into a homeplug. Reading it again you may be correct, he's probably got 1 gig internet, 750 mbps+ seems to be the right sort of speedtest you could expect.

Ok to clarify, I have Ethernet port in the wall that I have Cat E cable running from.

When Cat E cable is connect DIRECTLY from the WALL to LAPTOP on Speedtest I get around 750 mbits.

When Cat E Cable is connected from WALL to TP-Link AC1200 Wireless Wi-Fi Dual Band Fast Ethernet Router (Archer C50). On my LAPTOP or Iphone on Speedtest.net over Wireless 5.0 ghz frequency I get around 90 mbits.

Soldato
I assume you mean cat 5e? Which should be fine for gigabit speeds.

However, the C50's ethernet ports are limited to 100mb: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/Archer-C50.html#specifications

This limits the speed from the wall to the router to 100mb, meaning it's bottlenecking everything else, including your wireless speeds. You'll be wanting an ac router with gigabit ports if you want to properly take advantage of the high speeds.

Soldato
Another note, it also depends on the wireless adapter in your laptop/phone. The highest I've seen for the iPhone 6s is around 433mb odd when looking at the router stats. Your laptop, I have no idea as each laptop will have a different wireless network card and a different antenna configuration.

Permabanned
OP
Another note, it also depends on the wireless adapter in your laptop/phone. The highest I've seen for the iPhone 6s is around 433mb odd when looking at the router stats. Your laptop, I have no idea as each laptop will have a different wireless network card and a different antenna configuration.

I have lenovo Y50-70 4k screen edition.

Permabanned
OP
Well it is better, still not the 750 speed from cable...

Is this as good as it`ll get or I need to return and get even more expensive router?

5574951464.png

Back
Top Bottom