Switching Sky->BT on a full cabinet

Soldato
Hoping somebody has had some experience with this sort of issue.

We're looking at switching our ISP since the contract period on our Sky fibre has expired and the total cost per month is jumping up quite significantly. Virgin doesn't service our road and I've been looking at BT infinity, however the cabinet is apparently at capacity, and therefore they're unable to add any new customers.

However, as I understand, it should simply be a case of switching our line from Sky to BT. I spoke to a salesman from BT on the phone and I got the feeling that it might be possible but not under the sales system that he had in front of him. Am I grasping at straws and am I stuck with what I have for now?

Would appreciate any experience you could share :)

Man of Honour
My experience of BT - I wouldn't risk it :| seen so many reports on thinkbroadband, etc. forums where people have had their port nabbed by the next customer in the queue mid switching on stuff like that :S

Associate
Hoping somebody has had some experience with this sort of issue.

We're looking at switching our ISP since the contract period on our Sky fibre has expired and the total cost per month is jumping up quite significantly. Virgin doesn't service our road and I've been looking at BT infinity, however the cabinet is apparently at capacity, and therefore they're unable to add any new customers.

However, as I understand, it should simply be a case of switching our line from Sky to BT. I spoke to a salesman from BT on the phone and I got the feeling that it might be possible but not under the sales system that he had in front of him. Am I grasping at straws and am I stuck with what I have for now?

Would appreciate any experience you could share :)

I went through the exact same thing when switching from BT to Plusnet. I had a lengthy discussion with Plusnet (who were actually very helpful) and assured me the migration would be straight forward despite the cabinet being over capacity. Thankfully, they were right and i migrated without issue.

Man of Honour
I moved from Sky to Zen internet when my cabinet was nigh on full. I asked Zen about the capacity and they told me that once the order was accepted by Openreach, I was guaranteed to be able to switch. Zen were correct and I didn't even need an Engineer visit.

Soldato
OP
I wouldn't risk it. Far too much chance of someone grabbing your port during the switch.

My experience of BT - I wouldn't risk it :| seen so many reports on thinkbroadband, etc. forums where people have had their port nabbed by the next customer in the queue mid switching on stuff like that :S

This is exactly my worry, would rather keep the expensive FTTC connection than risk be stuck on ADSL2.. :(

I went through the exact same thing when switching from BT to Plusnet. I had a lengthy discussion with Plusnet (who were actually very helpful) and assured me the migration would be straight forward despite the cabinet being over capacity. Thankfully, they were right and i migrated without issue.

I moved from Sky to Zen internet when my cabinet was nigh on full. I asked Zen about the capacity and they told me that once the order was accepted by Openreach, I was guaranteed to be able to switch. Zen were correct and I didn't even need an Engineer visit.

It's good to know that it is possible at least, but for some reason switching to BT we can't get the same sort of guarantees? The 'tier 1' sales I was speaking to certainly didn't seem to have a clue.

I guess we can just wait until the cabinet capacity is better, but the deal I was looking at expires today so it would have been nice to take advantage while it's there.

Caporegime
When we place a Fibre to Fibre order our checker actually identifies that you have fibre already so in effect nothing at the cabinet changes. The post at the cab shouldn't ever become 'free' for anyone else to place an order.

Man of Honour
When we place a Fibre to Fibre order our checker actually identifies that you have fibre already so in effect nothing at the cabinet changes. The post at the cab shouldn't ever become 'free' for anyone else to place an order.

Maybe its changed with fibre - but tell that to the people on the poplar exchange for instance with ADSL lol.

Soldato

Why don't ISP websites do this on the checker?

When it's full, it doesn't do any check if you already have fibre and just says your cabs full or can only order ADSL products...

OP I have literally placed an order over weekend to move from Sky (Fibre Pro) to BT's new 52/10 package. Nabbed the £125 prepaid card and £164 cash back from TCB.

I had to check every other day for my area to change on BT's checker from "Waiting List" to "Available". It seemed on some days it freed up, allowing me to order with whichever ISP. So in the end it changed Friday evening I placed my order. I check now and the cabs full, so hopefully my migration goes ok.

Transfer date 6th September.

Caporegime
ISP sites tend to use the BT DSL checker results which simply advises if there are available ports at the cabinet. When we do a specific check on a telephone number it will advise us if you have fibre already.

Associate
Hi, apologies for resurrecting an older thread. Despite visiting the forums frequently, I literally just signed-up as this was the only example of this scenario I have found!

Unfortunately I am now in exactly the same situation; wanting to migrate existing Fibre services from Sky to BT. I currently have a FTTC 40mb/s+ fibre service from Sky.
However the BT online checker and even the sales system when ordering the transfer state "No capacity in cabinet".

BT Sales told me to proceed (of course they would!), and "get the ball rolling" for Openreach to transfer the line, during which they 'would probably' recognise I already had a port in the cabinet and transfer the Fibre connection.

But like you - I'm not convinced and a little worried. BT assured me that I can always back-out of the transfer which I would do in the case that they say I will lose the Fibre.
Please would the OP Alex74 let us know how it transpired for him going through the same.

Many thanks and kind regards,
Adam

Soldato
Can you not just do the "cancellation dance" like you do with Sky TV and ring up saying you want to cancel the whole sky package. They will then either offer you a discount to keep you or during your 30 day cancellation period you will get a 50% or 60% off offer, take it, stay with Sky ?

Soldato
As I understand it, the best levels of discount (75% and/or credit balances applied) are only available after a disconnection has been processed.

Back
Top Bottom