Help needed to configure my home network install CAT6

Soldato
Right guys i have decided due to crap wireless in my house im going to install a decent home network so then my things can be hardwired and less lag etc for gaming.

Now the bits are going to go under the stairs then up into the ceiling and under the floorboards into each room (to minimise having to plaster afterwards).

Now im going to have it hardwired into 4 rooms and have decided to have 4 connections in every room so that will mean a double wall plug for the 4 to fit into.

Now im stuck on what cable and brand of components to buy as they range from cheap to very expensive.

I am after a cat6 setup as a minimum with the option of going 10g in the future.

I have worked out my runs are going to be less than 10m each as i only live in a 3 bed end terraced.

Now i need someone in the know on here to please do me a spec list of what to get and where.

PLEASE HELP :D

Soldato
CCS or Excel or the cable. CCS for the modules unless you need something to match existing outlets.

There are many almost identical threads if you search, most with exhaustive answers to most questions that crop up.

Soldato
Why don't you put up your list and we'll see if there's anything you missed?

Metal backing boxes are available at every diy store and electrical factor.

Associate
You don't need CAT6 for 10 gig unless the runs are over 45 metres. I ran it in my house for no good reason to be honest. It's more of a pain to terminate, costs less, and gives you next to no benefit if your runs are less than 45m. CAT6 only boosts that to 55m, so it's not the holy grail. You need CAT6a or CAT7 to go the full monty (100m), and trust me, you don't want to go near that.

You can get triple sockets in a single box, so that means up to 6 in a double box. I recommend going for 35mm deep boxes, whether into a stud wall or solid/dot'n'dab.

I like Assynia stuff, pretty good quality but doesn't break the bank. I source from CMS.

Soldato
OP
You don't need CAT6 for 10 gig unless the runs are over 45 metres. I ran it in my house for no good reason to be honest. It's more of a pain to terminate, costs less, and gives you next to no benefit if your runs are less than 45m. CAT6 only boosts that to 55m, so it's not the holy grail. You need CAT6a or CAT7 to go the full monty (100m), and trust me, you don't want to go near that.

You can get triple sockets in a single box, so that means up to 6 in a double box. I recommend going for 35mm deep boxes, whether into a stud wall or solid/dot'n'dab.

I like Assynia stuff, pretty good quality but doesn't break the bank. I source from CMS.

Brilliant thanks for the input. So you would not go for cat6 then?

Also what is CMS?

Love the thought of triple sockets if I'm honest, would rather run 6 in each room as that would make up my 24

Where can I get them Assynia branded bits ?

Soldato
If you're going to install 6 ports in a room it usually makes sense to spread them around a bit. You might want 6 ports behind a television, but for most rooms 3 sets of 2 spread around allow for more flexibility,

Don
Im after a list really so i dont get it wrong :)

Just looked on netstore direct and have priced up the bits on there.

They dont seem to have and backboxes for normal walls only dry walled ones.

FYI, if you're using the modules from netstore (CCS modules), then you can use 16mm surface mount backboxes. It may sound snug, but they fit perfectly. Personally I have run Cat5e in my own house.

Associate
FYI, if you're using the modules from netstore (CCS modules), then you can use 16mm surface mount backboxes. It may sound snug, but they fit perfectly. Personally I have run Cat5e in my own house.

The benefit of 35mm back boxes is that you reduce the risk of bending the CAT6 too great as that will knock it out of spec.

Permabanned
Brilliant thanks for the input. So you would not go for cat6 then?

Also what is CMS?

Love the thought of triple sockets if I'm honest, would rather run 6 in each room as that would make up my 24

Where can I get them Assynia branded bits ?

CMS is a company. I assume the modules he mentions are these:

http://www.cmsplc.com/cat-5e-cat6-triple-module-50x50.html

and then you need two of them with the Faceplate part HT-ASFP02 to get a total of 6 modules.

http://www.cmsplc.com/hellermanntyton-alpha-snap-faceplates-and-blank-inserts.html

3 or even 6 modules is a lot for one location but depends on your own requirements.

I liked this idea that bledd showed colour coding each patch port to the room.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29413500&postcount=18

I also echo what others are saying, just stick to non cca cat5e, it will make your life a hell of a lot easier and you still future proof yourself for 10Gbe.

Ignore this nub also if you come across him.

- Don't be conned into thinking Cat6 or above is too stiff, this is rubbish and our electricians had no problems putting it in a house. If you were running it through conduit that's already in place then *maybe* there would be an issue but if your walls are chased then it's easy.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18729417

It's all well and good when you have someone else do the installation and have a blank canvass to work with which makes it much easier.

Ubiquiti Access Points are popular and easy to use so if you wish to have good wireless coverage around your home then consider PoE and routing cables for that.

Back
Top Bottom