Can someone explain how multiple wireless access points work?

Soldato
I currently have a Draytek AP and while the coverage is excellent I need it to cover a bigger area. What are my options for adding a second access point? I want to be able to walk around and use the same wireless network and not have to switch between 2 if thats possible?

Do I need to hardwire the second one back to the router? Ive read something about a wireless extender but have no clue? I can get a cat 5 cable to the other end of the house if thats the best option.

What will happen if Im say listening to music and my phone is "using" the first AP and I walk into an area that is covered by the second AP what would happen? Would there be a drop in network connectivity?

Anything else to consider? I dont think I'll need more than 2 but possibly a 3rd if I dont get full coverage.

Thanks.

Soldato
Wireless extenders work but they don't have as much bandwidth as one half connects to the router while the other half connects to other devices. So best to avoid that if you want good speed and latency.

An extra access point, you just need to attach it to the router via ethernet, and then set the SSID and password the same. You ideally want to set it to a different wireless channel as well so it won't interfere with the other AP.

It depends on the APs and device, but the device should instantly pick up the strongest AP and switch to it if needed. There might be a split second delay but most apps are smart enough to compensate for this (from switching between wireless networks and mobile data). Some APs even have a handoff feature that moves the device to the other AP for you, but from experience it's not really needed.

Don
Don't bother with wireless extenders.

Wire each one up to your router/switch.

If you want 'Zero Handoff' so you don't notice walking from one AP to another, you need to spend a little.

Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE, these are great access points. I have a Ubiquiti access point at home that covers all 3 floors without a problem (and covers both neighboring houses).

Have around 300 of them in work, they're a dream to set up and configure.

At home what you would do is install the Unifi Controller on one PC, configure your prefered wireless settings. Connect up the AP to the router, then 'adopt' it in the Controller to push the settings out to it. If you add a second or third AP, same process.

If you're using these, I would disable the WIFI on your current router.

-edit, just read it's a Draytek, what model is it? It might support Zero Handoff between other Draytek APs.

Soldato
AFAIK the current generation UniFi APs don't support 'Zero Handoff'. It certainly isn't a claimed feature. It isn't much of an issue either.

It was a feature on the old round UAP, UAP-LR, UAP-Pro range that was released before the square AC models.

See this and also their support forums where the subject is discussed.

Associate
AFAIK the current generation UniFi APs don't support 'Zero Handoff'. It certainly isn't a claimed feature. It isn't much of an issue either.

It was a feature on the old round UAP, UAP-LR, UAP-Pro range that was released before the square AC models.

You are correct, it's not working on the AC WAP's yet.

Soldato
unifi pro here and it cover our 1903 built 5000S*** property and the Garden with ease. I have it installed on the ground floor. I'm sure if I moved it onto the first floor range would be even better.

Man of Honour

Never mind, I googled it.

Back
Top Bottom