Which ADSL router?

Caporegime
Hello :)

I need a new router. I'm currently using Sky's jobbie which is decent-ish but the WiFi signal is pretty poor so I'd like something stronger. It's an ADSL connection, don't really know where to start. Most of the review sites I've looked at either all have the same brand router as the top five (not a coincidence at all then :rolleyes:) or they want me to spend £200+.

Now I don't mind putting a decent amount in to a router if it's good but I think £200 is a bit much. Ideally I'd like to spend £100 but can stretch if it's really good.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Caporegime
OP
Thanks for the reply.

I wouldn't really know where to start with access points, do you have any recommendations?

EDIT:

I've got this which works a treat, would it be better to simply get a wireless adapter compatible with them?

Last edited:
Associate
Where is your current router? Consumer grade routers generally have fairly good signal. I think a lot of the time when people replace their AIO router/modem/AP with a dedicated WAP they forget they have most likely moved their antennae from the floor/table up to the ceiling, possibly even a different floor. That's most likely where the majority of the benefit is.

Wi-Fi has power output limits. The output power is limited on every device (which complies) to a specific EIRP (effective isotropically radiated power). This means a device, with it's antennae, is tested (to measure the antenna gain) and then the output power in the transmitter itself is reduced until it meets the regulations.

You can infer from this that most access points/routers are set up to give an EIRP at or near the limit. Therefore changing to another one won't really give you 'more power', however a change in antenna design may prove more useful in your particular circumstance.

The reality though is Wi-Fi, either 2.4ghz or 5ghz does not pass through brick walls very well, so often it comes down to the specific construct of your building.

Soldato
Could work, you can add an access point to the other end of those powerlines which will extend your coverage, depending on where they are. UniFi AC lite easily fits within budget.

Back
Top Bottom