Spec me: Broadband

ADT

ADT

Associate
Apologies if this is in the wrong section of the forum.

For the past 8 years I have been with virgin fibre and everything has been fine. I am now moving to a new place with my partner and I have found out that I can't get fibre internet there :(

Our internet usage is mainly online gaming, video streaming at 720/1080p and the occasional games download (for example Steam).

Are there any recommendations on who to go with since all I can get is one of those "up to" 17mb lines.

Thank you!

Soldato
Plusnet would be my input. I've been with them for about 5 years using Fibre and ADSL and can't fault them to be honest. CS is superb and prices not bad.

When I was on ADSL, I paid line rental up front and there was no monthly cost for the broadband and it was unlimited.

Soldato

For the past 8 years I have been with virgin fibre and everything has been fine. I am now moving to a new place with my partner and I have found out that I can't get fibre internet there :(

Our internet usage is mainly online gaming, video streaming at 720/1080p and the occasional games download (for example Steam).

Are there any recommendations on who to go with since all I can get is one of those "up to" 17mb lines.

Thank you!

My last flat couldnt have fiber and i went with Sky unlimited broadband. Got a great download for adsl and it was faultless. More importantly i had really low pings for adsl (sub 20). You can generally get the internet for free just have to pay line rental at 17.99 a month.

Caporegime

Thank you!

Check what you can get first!

http://dslchecker.bt.com

ADT

ADT

Associate
OP
Sorry about the late reply. Been away for the last week.

So I have just found out that I can get sky fibre. Any recommendations on that?
They are running an offer of £27 for the first 6 months then £37 after, plus ~£70 quidco

ADT

ADT

Associate
OP
The prices include line rental, which is £17.40 p/m. The above prices are for up to 37Mb fibre with unlimited usage.

In my old place I was paying £32 for 50Mb fibre from virgin. I also has no land line

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Yup, I'd go with BT (my switchover date is next Friday). They're offering Infinity One for £12.50/month, 12 month contract. £100 reward card, £99 cashback with TopCashBack. If you pay the line rental upfront (£205), once you take into account the £199 back from TCB/Reward card you're effectively paying £13/month all in.

Man of Honour
So the info on sky's checker is incorrect ?

If so what are my options now?

Well Sky check the Openreach database, it is odd that Sky shows FTTC available yet BT and the Openreach checker do not.

I'd give BT a call as I know the sell FTTP, but I don't know how you'd get it installed as there isn't much info online.

Associate
It doesn't look like you can get FTTC.

FTTP is showing though although I'm unsure how that's ordered.

He can (the first entry is for FTTC), but only at speeds of between 8.8Mbps and 13.5Mbps on download which is what BT and plusnet were quoting while sky probably is giving the max speed you can get in the package.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I'd give BT a call as I know the sell FTTP, but I don't know how you'd get it installed as there isn't much info online.

There's a difference between native FTTP and FTTP on demand. He won't be able to buy FTTPoD from BT retail.

Back
Top Bottom