Replacement battery

Associate
After almost 5 yrs, the battery in my laptop only seems to last half as long as it once did, so I'm after a replacement.

Genuine Acer batteries are so expensive, I may as well buy a new laptop!

eBay seem to have compatible replacements for £15.

Would this be a waste of money? I know there have been a lot of stories in the media recently regarding cheap Li-ion batteries exploding etc. Genuine Acer batteries seem to be 56Wh, and the compatible ones are 90Wh.

Any experiences?

Last edited:
Soldato
I chose to buy a genuine but 2nd hand dell battery from one of the many business recycling companies, as opposed to a non-genuine 'new' at similar price. This had a verifiable capacity remaining.

Five years sounds like a good innings though for original, maybe you have a good strategy for draining it and not overcharging (with viao i had, you could specify only ever charge to say 60% when you knew you did not want to go mobile - which is beneficial to lifespan)
Reputation of some of the compatibles is that they have 2nd hand Lion's inside, maybe if you could get a compatible in the UK, do Amazon directly sell any ? you would have some come-back in case of problems.

Associate
OP
I've not really had a 'strategy' per se, although I try to be careful not to leave it plugged in too much, I must have just got lucky!

I'll have a look at Amazon's offerings. Thanks for the advice

Soldato
Buy a real one, the fake chinese crap will have terrible battery life and be dangerous.

No brainer. Get a new legit battery.

BUT
Genuine Acer batteries are so expensive, I may as well buy a new laptop!
And I must say I second that!
While a genuine battery may be preferable they are way too expensive for a 5 year old lappy
imho of course :)

Back
Top Bottom