Format, upgrade or replace?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I've currently got a Asus N550JK that's coming up to 2 years old now.
It's been great but recently started playing up after Windows sneakily installed Windows 10 without my (active) consent.

I haven't done any sort of defrags or system cleanup since I bought it in August 2014.
I'd love an SSD but other than that it's good enough and I just want it to work again!

Current spec:
Intel Core i7 4700HQ 2.4GHz
4GB RAM
1TB HD
GeForce GTX 850M

Ever since it upgraded itself to Windows 10, I've had an annoying memory usage warning come up now and again, and recently the computer has gone black once I acknowledged the warning.

Usage: Constantly going into sleep mode at work as I carry it around a lot. At home it's plugged into a U2414H, but planning to upgrade to a U2715H, so I need the computer to be able to run properly with multiple memory-heavy windows at a high resolution!

So, what to do? I haven't build a PC for over 10 years, so I'm hardly 'in the loop'.

- Format C: ?
- Format C: and upgrade RAM and HD
- Waste money and buy completely unnecessary new laptop

mjt

mjt

Soldato
OP
Was reading up in it today. HD swap is super easy in this one.

Worth upgrading to 16GB ram for another £50 or so, or will a Samsung 850 Evo be enough do you reckon?

Associate
I very recently replaced a hybrid drive with a Samsung Evo 850 drive. It's like having a new laptop. HDD benchmarks put it at 6-150 times faster (raw transfer rate and random scatter transfer rate)! Mine's only a i5-2410 CPU with 6Gb RAM and it's the best upgrade I've ever done since my first 3Dfx Voodoo graphics card!

mjt

mjt

Soldato
OP
Installed SSD - WOW. Best decision ever.

A colleague gave me some new RAM so might upgrade to 8GB later as well.

Back
Top Bottom