Gigabyte P37 V5 advertised specs. - Buyer beware !

Associate
I just bought a Gigabyte P37x V5 but not from OC. Apart from being £100 cheaper elsewhere (***Do no mention competitors, no matter how 'well' you think you have hidden them*** - Will Gill) the OC advertised specs were completely wrong compared to Gigabyte's website !

e.g. OC basic errors >

x2 USB 2 ports - no, it does not have any USB 2 ports
x2 USB 3 ports - no, it has x3 USB 3 ports & one 3.1
No mention of USB 3.1

Front page - 'This model comes with x2 256 SSD drives' - no it does not, only comes with one ! Not a problem but don't advertise it as such.

How the hell is anyone supposed to know what they're buying when your product specs are so wrong ?

I am an IT Consultant, I design mobile broadband networks so I know my stuff. Customer reviews are highly subjective of course, but as a consumer I expect to be given the correct facts by a seller about the product I wish to buy as per the manufacturer's spec.

I make no apology for bringing this to the attention of fellow consumers. How many other OC hardware specs are so far off the mark ??

Shame on you OC for misleading the public with false specs.

Soldato
I might be missing the point here, but did you say that you bought from somewhere else but are complaining that it doesn't match up to OcUK listed specs?!

Aside from the point of not really being able to blame 'what Peter sold you, on Paul's description'.......:rolleyes:....could very easily be a configuration thing (Gigabyte, like many laptop producers, tend to offer many different variations on a given model. I used to have a P35K, and had the CF-4 variant - pretty much no-one else in the UK sold that configuration, and so couldn't compare like for like etc.)......which, if I was a gambling man, might explain the £100 price difference some way?

Oh, and would be careful mentioning other retailers ;)

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
I just bought a Gigabyte P37x V5 but not from OC. Apart from being £100 cheaper elsewhere (***Do no mention competitors, no matter how 'well' you think you have hidden them*** - Will Gill) the OC advertised specs were completely wrong compared to Gigabyte's website !

e.g. OC basic errors >

x2 USB 2 ports - no, it does not have any USB 2 ports
x2 USB 3 ports - no, it has x3 USB 3 ports & one 3.1
No mention of USB 3.1

Front page - 'This model comes with x2 256 SSD drives' - no it does not, only comes with one ! Not a problem but don't advertise it as such.

How the hell is anyone supposed to know what they're buying when your product specs are so wrong ?

I am an IT Consultant, I design mobile broadband networks so I know my stuff. Customer reviews are highly subjective of course, but as a consumer I expect to be given the correct facts by a seller about the product I wish to buy as per the manufacturer's spec.

I make no apology for bringing this to the attention of fellow consumers. How many other OC hardware specs are so far off the mark ??

Shame on you OC for misleading the public with false specs.

Hi Sandude,

We work hard to ensure that our partners have our products listed correctly, but also accept that occasionally mistakes happen - normally these are identified, brought to the attention of us on forums and corrected accordingly.

In this instance, it sounds like you are talking about the information provided on our Gigabyte website, Vs the specs listed with a re-seller?

To be clear, the Gigabyte website gives a overview of what that model is "capable" of having on board, so it may say 16GB ram and 2 x 512GB SSD + 2TB HDD for example - but we may choose to have a spec in UK with 8GB ram and 1 x 128GB SSD and 1TB HDD. This is standard practice for all manufacturers, and is not designed to mislead - and also states on the site to check specifications with re-sellers as regional variations will exist.

We have only had 2 specifications of P37X v5 in the UK, and they were only sold to OcUK and one other partner.

The specs are:

P37X v5-CF1
17.3" UHD 3840x2160 IPS Wide View/Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6-3.5GHz/GTX980M (8GB vRAM) / 8GB DDR4 8GBx2/PCIe 256GB + HDD 1TB 7200rpm/Win10/BD Writer/2Y Warranty

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...x-980m-8gb-gddr5-gaming-laptop-lt-072-gi.html

Or

P37X v5-CF2
17.3" FHD 1920x1080 IPS Wide View/Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6-3.5GHz/GTX980M (8GB vRAM) / 8GB DDR4 8GBx2/PCIe 256GB + HDD 1TB 7200rpm/Win10/DVD/2Y Warranty

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...x-980m-8gb-gddr5-gaming-laptop-lt-071-gi.html

We have sent a message to OCUK regarding the USB information, thanks for highlighting this. We also see that the marketing text that is on OCUK site has been copied but not edited correctly and does mention 2 x 256GB SSD. The spec is however correct in the technical listing - but we have notified OCUK of the mistake in the written text.

We have checked the one model of P37X with the other re-seller and this is completely correct, the other model is sold out.

We apologise for any confusion caused but thank you for your feedback.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
OP
Of there are are many options available with any Laptop but the point I was making is that Consumers need to know exactly which specs/options they are actually buying. The advertised UHD version P35 UHD spec is correct >

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...x-980m-8gb-gddr5-gaming-laptop-lt-068-gi.html

So I would expect the P37 UHD to have similar USB 2.0 USB 3.0 USB 3.1 connectivity, or is there an older model with USB 2.0 & no USB3.1 ?

Probably a good idea to mention HDMI is v2.0 (external 4K monitor support) unlike v1.4

I just bought a P37x V5 CF1 with the correct specs. as per GB website and am really impressed so far. Sorry for any inconvenience .. /Sandude

Last edited:
Associate
Lol, OP, this has got to be the stupidest post I have ever read on any forum.

Why are you blaming Overclockers for something that you bought ELSEWHERE? This has nothing to do with them whatsoever. This is as stupid as blaming Tesco's for food that is being sold past it's sell-by-date that you bought at Asda.

Ever heard of the phrase 'Buyer Beware'? If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

No sympathy for you. You owe Overclockers an apology for blaming them for a wrongly advertised product you bought from a rival retailer.

Man of Honour
Regarding the USB ports assumedly it has 4x USB ports in total? and they will still be backwards compatible with USB 2, etc. sometimes specs get updated in revisions of a system, etc. aslong as it isn't a step backwards I can't see the problem in regard to that one.

Associate
OP
I went for the higher spec model with USB3.0 x3 and more importantly USB3.1 X1 which was missing here. You even provided a link to GB website (correct) specs. which differed from your advertised spec. Anyway, just update your specs to match GB and all will be fine. Conflict over

Associate
OP
Finally... You got your advertised USB specs correct! USB3.0 x3, USB3.1 x1... You're welcome. Now u just need to specify the HDMI port as v2.0 - profound difference to v1.4 !

Associate
OP
I'm 'blaming' OC for advertising incorrect specs. which they have now corrected. I bought somewhere else who advertised the correct specs. Get it?

Back
Top Bottom