**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

Soldato
I'm curious why are you going for the umi super? I'm intrigued by it because it has 800mhz 4G band, stock android 6.0 amd 4gb of ram. Just wish it had a Snapdragon CPU instead of Mediatek, looking at benchmarks the 615 is faster and has more feature than the Helio P10

Well, obviously price is an important consideration, and I also have my own personal preferences on style and design, both of which first attracted me to the UMi Super.

I have not finally decided which phone to go for yet, but again the clean, vanilla 'Marshmallow' Android UI is an attraction, as are the 4GB RAM and good sized battery.

I am not necessarily looking for the 'best' camera, or fastest phone around, but, like most users, a 'flagship' model is always desirable, but this one looked like a pretty good offering for the price... especially if I can make use of that $70 discount voucher! ;)

My current 'best buy' choice for a supplier of these is looking like 'Gearbest' at the moment, but I don't want to be hit by excessive customs or import duty charges.

Soldato
ive never been hit on anything from gearbest. bought plenty of stuff

will tell you now that their customer service is non existant though. use paypal or credit card incase anything goes wrong. i had a wrong item arrive and they wouldnt even reply to paypal so paypal just told me to send it off and give them proof for the money refunded.

Soldato
WAT! Stable or nightly? I need to get on that ASAP. Can you comment on RAM management on CM? I’m predicting RAM management is 10x better on CM than it was on MIUI. Can’t believe I missed this, thanks.

Sorry for the late reply.

It's a stable release.

I got it from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-3/development/rom-cm-12-1-t3368623

There's an official TWRP for the Redmi 3 too.

There's also one (TWRP and CM12.1 rom) by a Chinese guy (cofface) floating around on the MIUI forums. Requires an unlocked bootloader to use either.

RAM management seems the same as the stable MIUI7 rom (I tried the Developer ROM of 8, and that seemed way worse). With no apps running, it's around 950MB out of 1863MB used. Battery life is similar too. Was down to 16% (7 hours left estimated) with 7 hours SOT, WiFi active for 1d 14h.

Soldato
Mobster
Soldato
Soldato
Too little too late, not having marshmallow by now goes to show how little support users get. You can get the UMI Super from Tomtop Spain for £194. Tbh I'd day it's worth getomg it from Aliexpress and paying extra for DHL delivery, works out at £156 amd arrives in a week.

Associate
I watched the above review on Youtube after you firt posted on here and mentioned it. I thought it was one of the better reviews I had seen in general to be honest and that it was very balanced in regard to the pros and cons of the phone.

i had mine out and about a bit today. For 4G I found that it worked about the same as my HTC M8, places where I had a good 4G signal before I had a good signal now and vice versa. The camera took some good shots and some mediocre ones (not helped by my inability to take good photos) so I agree that when its good it is good but it can be inconsistent.

Glad you liked it. Again that camera is literally the bane of this phone.

Great review but am I missing something? 50k Antutu score is pretty low, my K3 Note gets that and its using a much older SoC

I'm curious why are you going for the umi super? I'm intrigued by it because it has 800mhz 4G band, stock android 6.0 amd 4gb of ram. Just wish it had a Snapdragon CPU instead of Mediatek, looking at benchmarks the 615 is faster and has more feature than the Helio P10

It is pretty low, the P10 is supposed to be more powerful than the MTK6753, and I recall someone posting that the P10 is the same or less powerful than the Snapdragon 615? That's wrong, the P10 is much more powerful than the 615 (or even 616 which I have). You might be thinking of the Snapdragon 652, in which case you would be right.

I am actually quite impressed with the UMi Super... especially after watching the video posted earlier!

Where is the best place to currently buy one of these please, as they appear to be offering a $70 rebate coupon at the moment... although I haven't actually received mine yet!

Thanks! :)

I believe the coupon is specific to a vendor so if you get a coupon you have to buy it from whatever vendor the coupon comes from.

Do any of these Chinese phones have quick updates?

Quick? well, sometimes, but support goes on for a year at best before it's dropped.

Soldato
I believe the coupon is specific to a vendor so if you get a coupon you have to buy it from whatever vendor the coupon comes from.

It is actually mentioned on UMi's home page at http://umidigi.com/page-umi_super.html which says that if you subscribe to their Newsletter you will receive a coupon, but although I applied earlier today I haven't received anything yet!

The best price I have found so far is £142.07 from gearbest (shipped from China) or £148.98 if shipped from an EU warehouse, with free 1-2 day shipping, which is probably the best option.

Associate
It is actually mentioned on UMi's home page at http://umidigi.com/page-umi_super.html which says that if you subscribe to their Newsletter you will receive a coupon, but although I applied earlier today I haven't received anything yet!

The best price I have found so far is £142.07 from gearbest (shipped from China) or £148.98 if shipped from an EU warehouse, with free 1-2 day shipping, which is probably the best option.

I saw that, but I also saw something strange in their forums, they had a whole bunch of codes except each one was to a different vendor, a couple of Aliexpress vendors, gearbest, geekbuying etc.

Soldato
I saw that, but I also saw something strange in their forums, they had a whole bunch of codes except each one was to a different vendor, a couple of Aliexpress vendors, gearbest, geekbuying etc.

I tried all the latest codes shown, but none were accepted, so it looks as if the gearbest option is the best price around at the moment... I am very tempted! ;)

Do they ship in sealed boxes, with an original 'bloat free' ROM, do you know?

Soldato

I got my K3 Note from their EU warehouse, it's actually in Bristol ;) My phone came three days after ordering. I'm very tempted too, the screen looks lush. Im just weary of that CPU, I get really bad throttling on my K3 Note when playing games (even games like Clash of Clans). I dont want the same to happen with this phone.

Soldato
Thanks... I have taken the plunge, and ordered one (UMi Super) for dispatch from their EU warehouse, so will be interested to see just how quickly it arrives!

Cool I'm hovering over thr buy button too. I don't need a new phone and only had my K3 note for 9 months. Coukd always pass it on to my mum lol

Associate
So, 6 days after ordering, according to the tracking my note 3 pro still hasn't left for the UK.

Likelyhood of it being delivered this week seem to be getting slim not.

Not used to wanting this long for anything.

Back
Top Bottom