Overclocking a MSI GT72S 6QF-013US Dominator Pro G

Associate
Morning community!

Just purchased an MSI GT72S 6QF-013US Dominator Pro G which was built to be overclocked.

I have successful got it from 2.70Ghz (turbo is auto-set 3.6Ghz) up to 4Ghz as you will see in Fig 1. via the CPU ratio w/o the need for voltage changes. CPU is latest Skylake i7-6820HK. It is fairly stable at this level although noticed when coming out of sleep using WIN10 PRO it will not go back to 4GHz (defaults to 3.60Ghz) unless I reboot OR even go back to sleep then come out of it. Even still, sometimes it will work as intended: stay @ 4Ghz, sleep it, bring it out, back to 4Ghz. Strange.

Laptop uses DDR4 2133Mhz Ram.

Whole system runs idle with the above set ~45c (CPU) and ~44c (GPU) and absolutely load up to ~90c (CPU) and ~85c (GPU) using Prime95 or Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.

My questions are as follows:

1) For the CPU overclock, based on what you see in the BIOS how much farther can I go. What voltages can I go up to (1.25V max?) and do I only attempt this using the Core CPU Voltage on other options there?
2) For MEM overclock, again, based on the BIOS figure what do you recommend I try with the timings + voltage?
3) Re: Fig 2. Do I need to change any of those settings to further obtain a speed boost?

Any advice/comments/suggestions would be MOST appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

Fig 1.
GT72S-6QF-013US_OC_Bios_Smallest_zpsswhq6hfn.jpg

Fig 2.
GT72S-6QF-013US_Advanced_Bios_Smallest_zpstxjz6txu.jpg

Associate
Can't really advise anything but I do have questions.

Did you test anything at stock?
What are your ambient temps?

I'm curious to see how this goes as I have an older 4870HQ model that can be OC'd a little with iXTU, though I have never tried. I did however undervolt it for a while to see if it ran any cooler but scrubbed that when I didn't really notice a difference in day to day usage.

Associate
Agree with Meaker 90 degrees on cpu is a little high, when overclocking desktop processors every guide I've ever read has stated to stay below 80, not sure how mobile processors compare to desktop.

What do you use the laptop for is it gaming, what temps is it in game? The stock temps you mention were those at idle?

Associate
OP
Agreed close to 90c for the CPU for long periods causes excessive wear but in practice its not at that state very often. OC'ed to 4Ghz I've stress-tested for 10-15mins w/o a hitch.

I use the laptop for both gaming but mostly dev work like virtualizing, photoshop, encrypting, sound editing, etc.. gaming is a semi-bonus but yeah I sometimes like to indulge in the latest games. ;)

Yeah stock temps are around CPU: 33c / GPU: 32c. Remember, the 6820HK comes stock @ 2.70Ghz then its with dynamic turbo it runs @ 3.60Ghz then I am adding up to 4Ghz which seems to run stable with no voltage tweaks.

I suppose I am wondering if I should just cut my losses and be happy with what I have for the CPU?

Mem-wise I haven't tweaked anything but based on my bios setting above in Fig 1. is there any room for improvement?

Thanks everyone for your valuable input!

Associate
OP
So just curious anyone know from the first page screenshot in Fig.1 how the CPU Core Voltage works as I can only add in numbers but with no decimals.

So how would I put in 1.215V if it only takes numbers?

Edit: Also, what are people's experiences using Intel's XTU tool and importing profiles? There is an XTU profile for the 6820HK which can OC it to 4.2Ghz but its for the Alienware laptop and not MSI. Whats the risk here? I find OC'ing memory far more dangerous to the OS then CPU or GPU but using XTU is not BIOS-related so if the boot fails then how does one go back to defaults?

Merry Christmas and Happy 2016 everyone! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Outside of benchmarking I would be prioritising stability over all else, especially if the primary use is not gaming.

3.6 - 4Ghz is not going to make a material difference, especially if it isn't stable.

I would be focusing more on getting the CPU temp down rather than clocking it higher. 90degrees seems high although I am not familiar with the temp "profile" of the Skylake mobile processors.

Associate
OP
Well I won't know what my true max temps + highest CFM output on my system fans unless I up-volt the CPU. ;) 4Ghz is stable btw but its when I go over it thats when it will randomly crash the OS hence why voltage may be needed.

Back
Top Bottom