*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
The game has great potential but at this stage it's very shallow & lacking in depth. Having 400 billion starts isn't much use if there is nothing to do.

I'm going to keep this on the back-burner & wait for it to reach a level worthy of the investment of time.

Soldato
The game has great potential but at this stage it's very shallow & lacking in depth.

Having 400 billion starts isn't much use if there is nothing to do.

You mean Powerplay isn't your bag?

If only all that development time/effort had gone into deeper/tiered missions/NPCs. And more content for general space flight and exporation.

Soldato
I think Powerplay has confused/annoyed a large proportion of the userbase IMHO. Add to this the CQC launch for the XBox under some strange guise when possibly it's down to M$ paying them, you can understand why some folks are getting frustrated!

It seems Powerplay came out of nowhere and clearly used up a huge amount of time/effort which could have been invested elsewhere.

And much to many's bemusement does not move the game in the direction they expected, introducing deeper, more involved and rewarding gameplay, but actually promotes the existing grind mechanics in the game by basically giving people weekly progress charts for the same simplistic grind mechanics already in the game.

Worryingly, it seems they're possibly happy to leave the game play/mechanics just where they are, and not move them into the realms of what was promised in the kickstarter, and what I suspect is hoped for by many many players.

People getting frustrated is understandable and it's always going to happen regardless of what they release, can't please everybody all of the time yadda yadda yadda and all that, it's the way that people these days think it is ok to behave as they do just because there is a level on anonymity to it that disgusts me.

In response to the grind mechanics, I've yet to see any argument for something different that works, all games of the ilk at their heart are a grind of some description, it can't be otherwise, life is a grind, simulating life in space ships in the year 3315 is going to be a grind, you can't just give everyone everything and expect anything other than chaos. I think that given time enough variation to the grind will help as then players can switch from different types, which is effectively the issue currently, many players feeling that they've done everything. I know I'm not even close and have spent a ridiculous amount of time in game.

It's an issue gamers have been trained to have, they need to have a destination, there has to be some sort of reward or feeling of accomplishment, no games these days are played purely for the experience of playing, which is why we end up with achievements and grinds.

Microsoft throwing money at FD being seen as a bad thing astounds me, these people want the game to succeed and get bigger and better, the money has to come from somewhere, it's simple economics. Even if you don't want to play CQC or PP you cannot argue that they are not adding depth to the game, it might not be the depth you are looking for but it is depth. The more people FD can get playing the better, the more options for varied play styles they can add the better. I see no downsides.

Right I'm stopping there, sounding waaaaaay too much like a fanboi lol...

Soldato
People getting frustrated is understandable and it's always going to happen regardless of what they release, can't please everybody all of the time yadda yadda yadda and all that, it's the way that people these days think it is ok to behave as they do just because there is a level on anonymity to it that disgusts me.

In response to the grind mechanics, I've yet to see any argument for something different that works, all games of the ilk at their heart are a grind of some description, it can't be otherwise, life is a grind, simulating life in space ships in the year 3315 is going to be a grind, you can't just give everyone everything and expect anything other than chaos. I think that given time enough variation to the grind will help as then players can switch from different types, which is effectively the issue currently, many players feeling that they've done everything. I know I'm not even close and have spent a ridiculous amount of time in game.

It's an issue gamers have been trained to have, they need to have a destination, there has to be some sort of reward or feeling of accomplishment, no games these days are played purely for the experience of playing, which is why we end up with achievements and grinds.
Agreed, but the current professions, gameplay and missions are paper thin IMHO. They've been that way from (before) release. And given a big development opportunity, ED had the choice whether to improve them (with far more involved and interesting missions or more interesting exploration for example), or actually embrace the grind mentality by promoting and rewarding it (ie: please now grind for 2hrs a day doing this repetitive, unchallenging task over and over). They worryingly chose the latter.

Microsoft throwing money at FD being seen as a bad thing astounds me, these people want the game to succeed and get bigger and better, the money has to come from somewhere, it's simple economics. Even if you don't want to play CQC or PP you cannot argue that they are not adding depth to the game, it might not be the depth you are looking for but it is depth. The more people FD can get playing the better, the more options for varied play styles they can add the better. I see no downsides.
Agreed. It's a shame that maybe the PC won't get CQC for 6 months, but it will give Frontier plenty of time (& $$$) to (finally) improve the game in the direction it should be improved in. Better professions, missions and exploration.

Associate
I'm not wasting my time looking for a link no, it's done now anyway, I have no issues with it, move on I would suggest.

I long ago gave up any expectations and am happy to play with what we do have rather than what might have been or what was the dream of the developers.

No offense Dano, but that itself does sound a bit silly, and verging on fanboi'ish, all your points seem to lead to one conclusion, that FD can do no wrong it would appear.

4 out of the last 6 post is more proof that the game still lacks depth, variation, etc and that is reflected across many forums/social media outlets etc.

MS throwing money at FD isnt a bad thing at all, FD need money to advance the game, its business sense. The problem is when you slap the PC market in the face by making us wait for updates etc. You say if you don't use them you cant complain, not true - If it happens once, chances are it'll happen again.

Game is fine as it currently is, its a good framework to build on no doubt about it, and ill continue to put 10-15 hours a week into it, but im afraid I cant congratulate them as much as you appear to :)

Associate
On the plus side, i kitted my clipper out for mining again since latest update (1.3.4?) and I can finally use more than 1 collector drone at a time YAY. We does help speed up mining and is a fab addition!

Soldato
No offense Dano, but that itself does sound a bit silly, and verging on fanboi'ish, all your points seem to lead to one conclusion, that FD can do no wrong it would appear.

That's not what I said at all. They've done plenty wrong, but whining about is going to change exactly what? Nothing apart from **** off the devs and make them question whether they want to continue or not.

4 out of the last 6 post is more proof that the game still lacks depth, variation, etc and that is reflected across many forums/social media outlets etc.

And again, what is whining about it going to do, constructive feedback yes, whining no.

MS throwing money at FD isnt a bad thing at all, FD need money to advance the game, its business sense. The problem is when you slap the PC market in the face by making us wait for updates etc. You say if you don't use them you cant complain, not true - If it happens once, chances are it'll happen again.

So what? Get off the instant gratification cart, it is coming and it'll be in far better shape due to being tested on the Xbone platform for us, if it was timed exclusive elements that got microsoft onboard I am all for it and I'll be all for it if that is what it takes to get Sony on board too, it's not like we are never getting CQC.

Game is fine as it currently is, its a good framework to build on no doubt about it, and ill continue to put 10-15 hours a week into it, but im afraid I cant congratulate them as much as you appear to :)

We are agreed then :) I know I come over as over the top, much of it in direct response to the ridiculous whining going on it has to be said :D

Soldato
Anyways... here is something for us pc master race gaming gods to be happy about: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/...-e3-xbox-exclusives-and-qa-with-david-braben/

“There is more free stuff to come, but I don’t want to pre-announce what they are!” laughed Braben. “But, yes, there are paid things to come as well. I’m very, very excited about where we are.” Braben was unfortunately cagey on actual upcoming features we might see, but he did re-confirm that both the planetary landings and third-person walk-around-the-ship mode were coming—and, importantly, that those features would come to PC first.

:D

Don
Well, my cobra is pretty well kitted out now and worth about 6m and I have 1.5m in the bank. What ship should I be aiming to get next? I'm more combat orientated so maybe a vulture? How much more should I save before switching?

Yes, a Vulture is a great upgrade step for combat play :)

Maybe save another couple of Mil before you jump over

Soldato
£80 on a joystick, £50 on the game and about £10 on stupid paint for ships, I genuinely have no desire to go back to this game anymore. I feel like I've already done everything.
Do you own something like an Anaconda or a Python?
That's a goal right there.
Have you achieved Elite status in anything? That's another goal and something people spent ages grinding toward in the original.

Sorry, but people these days expect far too much for £40
To be fair, that's actually a lot of money for a computer game... IMO, at least. Just about nothing else would have me paying THAT much to own - Not even if the new Mass Effect were available right now would I pay that much.
Used to be £20 for a fully finished game...

Associate
Soldato
To be fair, that's actually a lot of money for a computer game... IMO, at least. Just about nothing else would have me paying THAT much to own - Not even if the new Mass Effect were available right now would I pay that much.
Used to be £20 for a fully finished game...

Oh you wont get me disagreeing, at all. But it still doesn't justify what a lot of people expect for that £40 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom