Best air cooler

Soldato
Soldato
Dark Rock Pro 3 is quite good. Very quiet and only a couple degrees warmer than the coolest. It's a trade-off; to be a little quieter means a little less cooling ability. ;)

I'm going for the dark rock 3 not the pro. The regular version will cool just fine for me. Only doing a mild overclock on my Skylake i7. I have a brand new Corsair H105, but just don't trust AIO and the pump noise does my head in.

Associate
I'm not sure about the non-pro version of the dark rock 3 but I've used the pro version and be warned that it requires you to remove the retention plate on the CPU which can make installation and future upgrades a little troublesome. Especially if like me you remove the cooler and forget that you don't have a retention plate in place to stop your CPU from falling out of the socket, then proceed to stand the case vertically.

Soldato
I'm not sure about the non-pro version of the dark rock 3 but I've used the pro version and be warned that it requires you to remove the retention plate on the CPU which can make installation and future upgrades a little troublesome. Especially if like me you remove the cooler and forget that you don't have a retention plate in place to stop your CPU from falling out of the socket, then proceed to stand the case vertically.

If I have to remove the retention plate I wont buy it. Might need to look into it before buying then. Cheers for that bit of info.

Edit: I don't think socket 1151 has a retention plate that needs to be removed. So I should be fine.

Last edited:
Associate
Probably you've fit it wrong - I have be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 and retention plate is on the place. Really no idea how the cooler is distracting in yours...

Associate
How big is the dark rock 3 cooler mate? Don't want a huge cooler.
Same high as Dark Rock Pro 3 but covering all RAM slots, while Dark Rock 3 covers only one. This can be solved anyway by rising fan - if our case allows us to do it :)
Dark Rock 3 is a one tower / one 13cm fan combination with clips provided to fit another fan at rear.
Here how it looks inside case:

8f89445ab47d55c7gen.jpg

comparing to bigger brother:

948fc9235ea2f280gen.jpg

Soldato
Same high as Dark Rock Pro 3 but covering all RAM slots, while Dark Rock 3 covers only one. This can be solved anyway by rising fan - if our case allows us to do it :)
Dark Rock 3 is a one tower / one 13cm fan combination with clips provided to fit another fan at rear.
Here how it looks inside case:

8f89445ab47d55c7gen.jpg

948fc9235ea2f280gen.jpg

Wow the Pro is HUGE! The regular Dark Rock 3 looks small next to it. Cheers for that. Think I'll get the smaller cooler:) My case is the Phanteks
Enthoo Evolv ATX. Cooler height is 194mm There's plenty of room :D

Was it hard to install the dark rock 3? I'll be Installing with the motherboard in the case.

Associate
[/SPOILER]

Wow the Pro is HUGE! The regular Dark Rock 3 looks small next to it. Cheers for that. Think I'll get the smaller cooler:) My case is the Phanteks
Enthoo Evolv ATX. Cooler height is 194mm There's plenty of room :D

Was it hard to install the dark rock 3? I'll be Installing with the motherboard in the case.
Ive managed to both my air coolers while the motherboard was still in the case..

20150930_201519_zpsj4w2xjyq.jpg

temporary_zpsntstoovj.jpg

Associate
Probably you've fit it wrong - I have be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 and retention plate is on the place. Really no idea how the cooler is distracting in yours...

http://www.bequiet.com/volumes/PDM/_products/bk019/bk019_mn_en.pdf

Installation: NOTE: If your mainboard already has a retention module for affixing the CPU cooler, then you must first remove it. Please check that all parts required for installation are on hand before attempting to install the cooler.

It is the very first thing they warn you about when looking at the installation instructions.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
lol High end air cooling means the cooler is still HUGE! I think I'm going to stick with AIO. I can't be bothered with custom WC. I don't see the point imho. AIO do a fine job.

The point is it looks cool and performs better cooling than any of the other options discussed by far. The issue is it requires time to setup and then every time you upgrade gpu means new block and going through setting it up.

I am thinking of moving from my Kraken X60 and going with the nh-d15. Won't look as cool, but will make less noise. I have a big case so it will fit in there with ease :D

Associate
The point is it looks cool and performs better cooling than any of the other options discussed by far. The issue is it requires time to setup and then every time you upgrade gpu means new block and going through setting it up.

I am thinking of moving from my Kraken X60 and going with the nh-d15. Won't look as cool, but will make less noise. I have a big case so it will fit in there with ease :D

Cryorig R1 Ultimate looks better than the noctua, Cools better a little also, Noctua is slightly quieter.

V F

V F

Soldato

948fc9235ea2f280gen.jpg

Does the roof pop off? If not, thats going to be hell to clean since the middle fan can't slide out because of the graphics card and case roof.

Associate
Dark Rock Pro 3 - I have, as you notice there is a difference :D
Hard to install? No. And I will recommend to do it like you do - mobo in case :)

Backplate first. Then you have to fit four screws from back, blocked on front side of mobo with plastic clips, so they and backplate stays on place no matter what.
Stand the case vertically with front towards you, grab the cooler in left hand, with AMD / Intel brackets fitted already and move it towards CPU.
Locate bottom holes of brackets against screws coming out of mobo until touch them, then slowly rotate cooler until touching top screws. While keeping like that carefully screw them with right hand, from backside with screwdriver like nearest top one till catch thread, furthest bottom one, furthest top one, nearest bottom one like first one - and rotate on them after some screwdriver turns to prevent overtighten one corner before tight rest of them :)
Now to make it funny - that is really sounds way more difficult from that how it is going :D
Hope is that helps :)

Digipact, sorry - correct me if I am wrong - instead of that Intel CPU 'holder' with hinge fitted by three holes (sure this is called somehow) which locking CPU in place - you've got some retention module? I think I've seen that the other day - and you right about it. If that three holes mentioned above are on mobo that is the solution, if not you have to do your way unfortunately... If that three holes are present - there's no problem as at least the solution is available.

The thing is, at least most of CPU cooler manufacturers provides the backplate fitted to the mobo by these holes - it is not only be quiet! issue...

Back
Top Bottom