Is there a better value Android tablet out there than the Nexus 9??

Associate
Reserved one of the 9.7" S2's at £299 but will still see if there are any better deals tomorrow!

The reviews on the S2 aren't that spectacular though - the Expert Reviews one compares it to the Air 2 and the Nexus 9 and in terms of benchmarks it doesn't fare overly well!?!?!

Seemed smooth as silk when I had a quick mess about with one in the shop the other day!

The reviews are a bit meh :confused: I personally don't regret getting the 9.7" S2. Thin, light, bright and smooth with no lagging and responsive touch. Don't know how they made it so light really. Standby is good on mine dropping often only 1 or 2 percent overnight. Previous tablets have been an original Nexus 7 and a Hudl2 and the tab S2 blows them both out the water. Cost quite a bit more than both those so it should be better ;)

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I'm very tempted for the 9.7" S2 - felt amazingly light in the store!

As stated in my OP though, 70% of the use will be streaming media from my NAS and so I'm not entirely convinced with the 4:3 aspect ratio! (and on the other hand I don't think I want to go for the 8" version because it's not enough of an "upgrade" from my LG G-Pad 8.3" tab!)

Quite tempted though as £299 - especially with 10% Quidco cashback on offer too! (does anyone know if you have to purchase online to qualify for Quidco or can I still reserve online and collect in store and still get the cashback??)

Soldato
OP
If you can handle having your eyeballs scraped everytime touchwiz pops up of course.

It does tickle me when people moan about the stock launcher/skin for each manufacturer being "unbearable" in one way or another - for me, the best thing about Android is that you can literally change the look of the phone/tablet to what ever you want with the dozens of free launchers out there!

I rarely stick with the device's own launcher!

Associate
Am after Tab S 10.5 but it's still expensive. There have been a couple of price drops the last day or 2 but they sell out so damn quick! Been going for £249 so am reluctant to pay much more really. Not many places selling them now either.

Soldato
Am after Tab S 10.5 but it's still expensive. There have been a couple of price drops the last day or 2 but they sell out so damn quick! Been going for £249 so am reluctant to pay much more really. Not many places selling them now either.

Tab S is actually better than the Tab S2 it's remarkable how Samsung messed that one up.

Soldato
It does tickle me when people moan about the stock launcher/skin for each manufacturer being "unbearable" in one way or another - for me, the best thing about Android is that you can literally change the look of the phone/tablet to what ever you want with the dozens of free launchers out there!

I rarely stick with the device's own launcher!

Except the launcher doesn't change everything. SystemUI is still TW.

Soldato
OP
Fair enough but other that slowing down the progression to the next OS, what major difference does the underlying UI make other than visuals? (Serious question - I can't think of much that bothers me, even if I hate the default skin!)

Associate
Nexus 9 discounted on Google store at minute 16gb version £199 for those that are interested, my daughter has one and at that price it's a decent tablet and plenty powerful enough for most peoples needs. Personally I am not a massive fan of the aspect ratio as I like to watch media on mine and don't like the large black bars top and bottom, but for general usage it's a nice tablet.

Soldato
Fair enough but other that slowing down the progression to the next OS, what major difference does the underlying UI make other than visuals? (Serious question - I can't think of much that bothers me, even if I hate the default skin!)

Bloated Samsung services running in the background.

TW doesn't bother me so much on a tablet but I would deffo don't want it on my phone.

Back
Top Bottom