Air con bombs

Soldato
Hi all,

I have used air con bombs (aerosol can) in my car a few times and it works a treat. A friend of mine has a car with no air con and I wonder if it would help get rid of the awful smell coming from her air vents? I've checked and there is nothing dead or anything in there.

Cheers!

Associate
I use detol antibacterial spray in my cars, remove the pollen filter turn blowers on full and spray through.
works a treat.
also works on air con systems you just have to use the recirculate button

Don
Before getting one of these, do the following..

Replace pollen filter. If not done once a year or so, it will be stinking dirty.

Give the inside of the car a good clean, along with the car mats and go for a long drive with the windows open.

Man of Honour
Are pollen filters generally easy to get at? Mine was serviced about 5 months ago. It doesn't smell but a garage wanted to charge me £25 when I got my MOT to do something very similar sounding. Seemed expensive so I didn't bother.

Soldato
OP
It does not have air con. It does not have a pollen filter.

I'm just wondering if one of these things would have any effect taking the above into account.

Associate
I have never know a car not to have a pollen filter.
as the air comes from outside the car the risk of dust / sand being blown into the drivers eyes would be to big.

Associate
My Hyundai i10 has the pollen filter situated behind the glove box, simple procedure to take out and get to.

Given that they are based on a similar chassis, I would expect the getz to be in the rough same area,.

Caporegime
I have never know a car not to have a pollen filter.
as the air comes from outside the car the risk of dust / sand being blown into the drivers eyes would be to big.

Virtually 99% of all vehicles built pre the mid eighties, never had any cabin/pollen filters in them.

Saab started it off in about 1987 with a very basic filter in their 9000.

Then they started to become widely available from around 1989 in most cars built in Germany.

The rest of mainland Europe, the far east and other manufactures followed suit after, in the early nineties.

In 1991 the German VDA drafted a standardization for Cabin filters so that they all had to meet certain criteria, and filter to a common particle size.

Don
Are pollen filters generally easy to get at? Mine was serviced about 5 months ago. It doesn't smell but a garage wanted to charge me £25 when I got my MOT to do something very similar sounding. Seemed expensive so I didn't bother.

Find the part on eurocarparts or carparts4less, probably a couple of quid.

Now Google/Youtube 'carMake/Model pollen filter' or 'cabin filter'

All the ones I've replaced were in the glovebox and you could access them in under one minute with no tools. Quicker than getting a mac10 :p

Soldato
This stuff gets sprayed directly into the vents and into the inlet on the outside

http://www.eurocarparts.com/mobile/...leaners/air-con-cleaner/?NOR2897300&0&cc5_101

I used the "one shot" version of that which is the grenade and it was EXCELLENT - my car stank of dog when I got it and not even a whiff after changing the filter and running that through. The spray thing is the same stuff just more manually applied which might work better.

Miles cheaper than the cans of comma stuff that halfords sell too

Soldato

Sometimes they are easy, sometimes the design/layout is clearly the product of a deranged soul which has been expelled from the Ninth Circle of Hell for being altogether too evil, in order to go and work for a motor manufacturer somewhere!

Mann ones generally come with instructions! (Also available from the Mann website)

If there is a choice between charcoal ones and non-charcoal I generally go for the former (With Mann part numbers this is CUK vs CU prefix)

Associate
Damp/mouldy polen filter?

Was a regular occurrence on my old Vectra C.
Does sound like this. You'll probably find the seal around the filter box is perishing.

Sometimes they are easy, sometimes the design/layout is clearly the product of a deranged soul which has been expelled from the Ninth Circle of Hell for being altogether too evil, in order to go and work for a motor manufacturer somewhere!

Mann ones generally come with instructions! (Also available from the Mann website)

If there is a choice between charcoal ones and non-charcoal I generally go for the former (With Mann part numbers this is CUK vs CU prefix)

Completely agree. Most the cars I've had have been a ball ache to change, my previous one was under the glove box but you virtually had to do a head stand to see what you were doing, then the chiropractor bills!

Soldato
A quick search does indeed seem to suggest that the Getz without aircon does not have a pollen filter as the op said! ...wow '90s Vauxhalls had these, basic ones. I found it hard to believe it wouldn't have one aswell, aircon or not.

Back
Top Bottom