• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI 5870 flash to bypass 900/1300 limit

Caporegime
Ok, this works. Just follow the guide, written in my own words, albiet I take no credit for this.

Here's a picture of my flashed Sapphire 5870 to an Asus
Pic.png

With the Asus BIOS, I'm able to use just the MSI tool to increase clocks over 900/1300.. I've heard that AMD GPU Tool will mess with the memory timings, so I'd advise NOT to use it.

Here is the ASUS BIOS
http://rapidshare.com/files/288531683/Asus.rom

Here's the latest ATIflash

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1650/ATIFlash_3.75.html

Here's the tool to format a USB flash drive
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18807&d=1222699942

Here's the bootfiles I used
http://www.4shared.com/file/43544416/39060a9e/HPUSBFW_BOOTFILES.html?s=1 (Extract them, then make a folder called BOOTFILES, stick the extracted files into the folder)

Plug in the USB drive that you want to use.

Install and run HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool.
Select the USB Drive. In the "File system" drop down box, pick FAT32. Tick "Quick Format". Tick "Create a DOS startup disk, using DOS system files located at and click the "..." and direct it to the BOOTFILES folder you made.
Click start.

Once that's done, copy the ATI Flash and ASUS BIOS into the USB drive.

Restart your PC and boot from the USB Flash drive.

Once it's booted in type
atiflash -f -p 0 asus.rom (If you're not using crossfire)

If you're using crossfire, I'd suggest you flash each card individually (For people like Virus). More so that I don't know how to flash more than one card at once :p

Good luck

Last edited:
Permabanned
ATi flash is used in a dos environment isn't it? It'll have nothing to do with whether you're using 64 bit or not.

If that's what you mean?

I've flashed both my 4850s and I've been on 64 bit for quite some time now.

Associate
A more user friendly way of booting into dos by the way, would be by using unetbootin - from within that program it can download onto the usb freedos. without the need for the bootfiles and ect ect.

Caporegime
OP
A more user friendly way of booting into dos by the way, would be by using unetbootin - from within that program it can download onto the usb freedos. without the need for the bootfiles and ect ect.

I'm new to this. First time I've flashed a graphics card, so I'm not up to date with all the tips and tricks lol.

Caporegime
OP
So ATI actually put something in the stock bios that puts a limit on the clocks you can set with software?

Is there a bios of this type floating around for the 5850 yet?

No word on the 5850 yet.. And some vendors of ATI cards don't have the limit, hence the need for the ASUS BIOS..

However tools can bypass this limit, I wouldn't risk it.

Caporegime
So ATI actually put something in the stock bios that puts a limit on the clocks you can set with software?

Is there a bios of this type floating around for the 5850 yet?

Its a limit because you can unlock overclocking to what ATI has deemed pretty safe levels in the CCC, if they don't limit the speeds in CCC somehow you'll get any average user going in going, look ma, I can set it to 3000Mhz core and 12Ghz mem, it doesn't work and ATi get a support e-mail from Mr Stupid saying there card doesn't work.

Generally the limits they put in aren't that bad and relatively safe/doable limits within stock voltage settings.

Plenty of 5850's are doing 830Mhz on stock voltage fine, but i'm sure there will be a few that struggle at 800Mhz, so 775Mhz is a safe option.

Theres quite a few apps, including gpu clock tool, that let you clock to whatever speed you want.

Soldato
Its a limit because you can unlock overclocking to what ATI has deemed pretty safe levels in the CCC, if they don't limit the speeds in CCC somehow you'll get any average user going in going, look ma, I can set it to 3000Mhz core and 12Ghz mem, it doesn't work and ATi get a support e-mail from Mr Stupid saying there card doesn't work.

Generally the limits they put in aren't that bad and relatively safe/doable limits within stock voltage settings.

Plenty of 5850's are doing 830Mhz on stock voltage fine, but i'm sure there will be a few that struggle at 800Mhz, so 775Mhz is a safe option.

Theres quite a few apps, including gpu clock tool, that let you clock to whatever speed you want.

Yes thats all very well and good, but if you use that so called GPU CRAP TOOL it will break ATIpowerPlay`s uber idle temps and clocks and voltages.

Back
Top Bottom