Renewing my tax disc at a Post Office

Associate
Normally I renew my car tax online a few weeks before it runs out but this year it's kind of slpipped my mind. It runs out tomorrow!

Im going down to the post office this morning to get it sorted out but im not to sure what documents I will have to take for proof.

So before I head down does anyone know which ones I will need?

Thanks

Man of Honour
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_4022117

At a Post Office® branch or by post

Use the V11 reminder in person at any Post Office® branch that issues tax discs or by post to the address shown on the reminder form.

Take or send the following:

* the completed V11 reminder
* insurance certificate or cover note – must be valid when the tax disc comes into force
* valid MOT certificate – if the car or motorcycle is over three years old – must be valid when the tax disc comes into force
* the payment shown on the reminder (not needed if your vehicle is exempt from paying vehicle tax)

Man of Honour
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/280808_09.aspx

"As a result, from the 1st of September 2008, those buying their vehicle tax online, by phone or by post will be able to legally continue to drive their vehicles for up to 5 days while they wait for their new tax disc to arrive. This will only apply where the new tax disc has been applied for before the current one expires and motorists should continue to display the expired disc on their vehicle, until the new one arrives."

You can do it online today and still drive legally while you wait for it to arrive.

Soldato
You could do it on-line and then put up a sticker saying 'Tax in post', I think this is still allowed? Any roadside checks would be ok as it would show you have paid tax on their systems.

Associate
A little bit OT but still related.

I got my new tax disc through the post about 3 weeks ago and have been keeping it in my glove box since.

Can I replace my old one now or do I have to wait till the 1st of December? Knowing myself, I will probably forget and get fined for not displaying a valid tax disc or something.

I could not find any information about this anywhere. Does anyone here know? I tried google but there were mixed answers.

Soldato
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/280808_09.aspx

"As a result, from the 1st of September 2008, those buying their vehicle tax online, by phone or by post will be able to legally continue to drive their vehicles for up to 5 days while they wait for their new tax disc to arrive. This will only apply where the new tax disc has been applied for before the current one expires and motorists should continue to display the expired disc on their vehicle, until the new one arrives."

You can do it online today and still drive legally while you wait for it to arrive.

God damn, wish I'd known that. I bought mine in the post office yesterday, it's due on Mon.

Cob

Cob

Soldato
A little bit OT but still related.

I got my new tax disc through the post about 3 weeks ago and have been keeping it in my glove box since.

Can I replace my old one now or do I have to wait till the 1st of December? Knowing myself, I will probably forget and get fined for not displaying a valid tax disc or something.

I could not find any information about this anywhere. Does anyone here know? I tried google but there were mixed answers.

You can replace it now.

They would not have issued you with one starting next month if you weren't already covered for this month (it would have started on 1st Nov if you weren't covered already for November).

Associate
You can replace it now.

They would not have issued you with one starting next month if you weren't already covered for this month (it would have started on 1st Nov if you weren't covered already for November).

No you cant put it in your window yet as your not displaying a valid tax disc. The tax disc you have is only valid from 1.12.08. When my car was SORN i got my tax disc in advance so does that mean i can put it in my window and drive - no as my car tax did not start until the begining of the next month and my car would have still been un-taxed until the new tax disc came into effect.

Technically your car would still be taxed but you would still be displaying an improper tax disc and you may still pick up a fine if caught.

Back
Top Bottom