**NEW CORSAIR ML MAGNETIC LEVITATION FANS**

Associate
They look great, I just wish manufacturers would offer more colour choices :(. It's 2016 and majority of fans are red, blue and white led :(.

Gangster
OcUK Staff
OP
A few manufacturers are coming into the market with RGB functions but I think corsair are starting out with these colours. If you look at the SP range they released a few more colours so maybe they will do the same with these.

Associate
Just got my Ml 140 with some bits I ordered today stuck it in my case and it has this distinct çlicking noise''I would describe it as a high pitch click or tick if that makes any sense?. The fan is controlled by the motherboard into one of the pwm headers.

I tried both PWM and DC in bios but it is there. Any suggestions? Posssibly I have a one off bad egg but I am kinda worried as I have 6 ml120 arriving later today.

Last edited:
Soldato
That clicking noise doesn't sound right. Nothing caught in the fan at all? If not, might be an internal issue so you should be able to get it replaced no problem.

I'm looking at replacing my 140's with these, but the basic non-flashy ones as I don't like that stuff. The other problem is my intake pair are behind a filter, behind the case door. Would these be recommended for this, or maybe look at something else? Also trying to keep noise to a minimum. My current stuff does that until the warmer weather and demanding games and it gets a bit tiresome.

Associate
Just got my Ml 140 with some bits I ordered today stuck it in my case and it has this distinct çlicking noise''I would describe it as a high pitch click or tick if that makes any sense?. The fan is controlled by the motherboard into one of the pwm headers.

I tried both PWM and DC in bios but it is there. Any suggestions? Posssibly I have a one off bad egg but I am kinda worried as I have 6 ml120 arriving later today.

I installed yesterday mine as well and I've got similar sound with my ml140 (like a cricket, depending on speed). Also have 6xml120 and they are fine, not sure what is with 140.

Associate

I installed yesterday mine as well and I've got similar sound with my ml140 (like a cricket, depending on speed). Also have 6xml120 and they are fine, not sure what is with 140.

This clicking sound that you guys are hearing, is it only present on a set rpm?

Just a note, make sure that you control these fans via PWM and not DC.

Associate
Hi Greybeard.

Thank you for entering the thread.

I currently have them on PWM but have also tried on DC as well to eliminate possiblities of that.

Since getting my ML140 and noticed the clicking sound it has kind of dissappeared sort of.

Basically at between 700-800 rpm it does this. Could it be the natural harmonic frequency of the fan and it is resonating and thus causing the clicking sound? I don't know. Setting it at other RPM's +/- 700-800 rpm via PWM also the clicking rear it head for a bit and then dissappears. I don;t run it over a 1000 rpm as it too loud for my tastes and dont want to run it below 700 rpm as cooling ability is too little

Or could it be due to stiffness of motor mechanism and just needs time to run in?

Of course if I run it at full speed it doesn't seem to click but then again it hard to hear it with the fan being noisy at full speed.

I opened up a ML 120 to see if it exhibitied the same problem and as far as I can tell it does not.

As for the ML 140 for my build I need the fan to run at 700-800 Rpm as for my setup at least it seems to be ideal between cooling ability/noise levels.

'THank you for any insight that you can bring to the topic.

Associate
I think they were just faulty. I replaced mine and everything is fine. Best fans I've had so far anyway. Performance to noise. :)

Associate

They used voltage control btw, so don't take that video for any useful info.

Initially we ran these fans off a standard six channel fan controller. While we were easily able to control their speed we found that they were a bit noisy. It turns out it is due that the fact that not only are these fans four pin PWM, but they actually require a PWM power source.

Associate
If I had two ML140's cooling the front rad in my case would I need to have each fan separately connected to its own mobo header to ensure they operated correctly and avoided this clicking issue or could I use a PWM fan hub and connect both fans to one header?

I have one of the mini modmytoys 4-pin PWM to 4x4-pin PWM circuit boards lying around but want to make sure that the two ML140 will both receive correct signals from the mobo and levitate/perform correctly etc?

Back
Top Bottom