Kitty held at Vets till bills paid, 'interest' added daily. Help?

Soldato
My girlfriend's kitty injured her leg yesterday (an infected thorn apparently) and with her limited budget, she could not afford the £160 bill. The vets are holding the kitty till the bill is paid and everyday the kitty is held at the vets, £20 will be added, living cost or something silly.

My question is, apart from begging money from people around her, what other legal alternatives are there to resolving the issue? There's complication which I don't think it's relevant to explain in public and I am tight this month to help and advise is appreciated.

EDIT - just to save repeating. My girlfriend did not willingly bring the cat to the vets. The cat was injured and found early this morning just before she went to work. Her mum, who seem to have a financial budgeting of a badger, sent the kitty to the vet and now faced with this issue. My girlfriend have put this issue on her own shoulder to bear, as she had always been with her family, having to pay for a variety of essentials which any financially balanced mother of 3 kids would have done so properly.

And there's me, on my own tight budget looking for alternative and advise to help, before dipping myself in my own financial issue just to help alleviate her stress. A women / girlfriend stressed = non-issue problems become a problem in a relationship.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Borrow money, pay for GF's kitty, reap dividends from GF's grateful generosity after?
I am considering bake beaning it for the rest of the month, not that I'll get a lot out of it apart from hot farts.

Borrow the money. It's only going to get more and more expensive if you don't.

Looks like I'll have to step in and help.
The thing is, it's her mum not being able to foot the bills and IMHO, she's rubbish at budgeting and I feel I am in no place to criticise or tell her. I can afford it if I bake bean the rest of the month, postpone my flyers collection (I ordered 5000 flyers to help advertise my on the side photography work due for collection next week).

Thing is, helping them will severely screw up my budget this month. My girlfriend already owes me money as it is, I am kinda stuck here wanting to help.

Soldato
That's ridiculous but it's not the first time I've heard about something like that. Are they even allowed to charge the extra £20 every day?
Maybe it's listed in some fine print somewhere..

Has she asked if it's possible to come up with a payment plan?

Soldato
OP
Has she asked if it's possible to come up with a payment plan?

IIRC, that kitty is already on a payment plan after an op on her stomach due to an issue 6 months ago. I cannot confirm if the payment have complete, perhaps this was this problem thus the 'ransom'?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Pay the bill, and check what was signed by your GF at the start, chances are she agreed to this...

Do neither of you have a credit card for emergency purposes?

Soldato
IIRC, that kitty is already on a payment plan after an op on her stomach due to an issue 6 months ago. I cannot confirm if the payment have complete, perhaps this was this problem thus the 'random'?

Well that does show that there is a different way of paying available at least. Maybe that is the reason for the ransom but only if they haven't been paid the correct amount/on time surely. If everything was fine with that payment then they obviously would know she was good for it and accept another plan. But you never know.. £20 extra for each night is probably better for the vet :rolleyes:

Soldato
Is this legal? It doesn't sound like it to me. I think a jailbreak is in order.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The A-Team!

Permabanned
Burn the place down. Kill them. Kill their kids, kill their wives, kill their parents and their parents' friends. Burn down the houses they live in, kill the people that owe them money.

Soldato
OP
Do neither of you have a credit card for emergency purposes?

In short, no. 'ex'-Students on shoe string budget, graduated recently. I'm working full time checking/eating cakes till January when my PGCE starts, she's silver service whilst looking for the right job due to poor and saturated market.

Back
Top Bottom