SuperMicrco X8 class motherboard - Dual EPS12v for single CPU?

Soldato
Hi

I've just picked up a used SM SCE836TQ-R800B (16 bay SAS/SATA 6G chassis) which was configured with an old X7 motherboard.

I don't intend to use this (although I do want to see how much power it munches through as they're very hungry!), as I have an X8DTE-F sitting in a makeshift storage server which I'd like to transfer.

The power distribution board (pdb) in the chassis is for the X7 range (1 x 24 pin, 1 x 8 pin EPS, 1 x 4 pin EPS[?]). Before I invest in the right PDB for the x8's and newer, I'd like to see whether the current one will power the X8DTE when it is running an L5630 40w CPU.

I only intend to use a single CPU socket and 2 memory slots (16GB total); would it be ok for a single EPS12v or am I required to run the full two?

I picked up the whole chassis (plus 28TB of storage) for less than 200 quid, so the 50 quid for a used PDB is not such an issue, but I would like to see if I really need it.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Soldato
OP
So I decided to not risked it and stumped up the cash for the new PDB. Will be compatible with newer boards now...

Quite surprised and impressed how easy it is to upgrade the chassis as tech evolves (to a certain extent, I think SAS 6G is the final position for this as SM 12G chassis appear to all be 2.5" and not 3.5".

Back
Top Bottom