Any need for more than 16GB RAM gaming?

Caporegime
I have done this, I sent £165 on 16GB of team group 3733mhz ddr4 ram and for gaming and normal pc stuff I couldn't tell the difference. In the end I sold it for a massive loss after 3 months (£80) and went with 32GB of 2400mhz, overclocked it to 2858mhz and I can't tell the difference.

You wouldnt. DDR4 memory speeds esp on x99 systems are for benchmarks only tbh.

Gaming you will be fine just running it at 2400.

You might gain the odd single frame if you have some 4000 low latency stuff which costs the earth but that will vary from game to game.

Certainly, there are other areas which for the price difference will give you massively better gains.

Associate
In a similar situation here, going to buy new memory, simple Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz 2x8gb kit is fine. But I can get a 32gb 2400MHz 8x8 kit for just £60 more.

I don't have any need for more than 16gb. I can max out my Gene with 32gb and occupy the slots, which is probably the main reason, looks and epeen, well looks as empty slots are irritating me.

I like to try things every so often but would have to look hard to find a use for 32gb I guess, most likely will end up again playing with my old DSLR, ripping HD movies for a NAS library, but if I can find something to play with for even a few months that I would enjoy trying that used 32gb then I would give it a go.

Currently though, I can't think of anything, as much as I can afford it now, by the time I could use 32gb we will most likely be on DDR8 with 8 core Pentiums :D

Yet I'm still tempted to just drop that extra £60 bucks for the "just in case one day" that usually never happen.

Associate
In a similar situation here, going to buy new memory, simple Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz 2x8gb kit is fine. But I can get a 32gb 2400MHz 8x8 kit for just £60 more.

I don't have any need for more than 16gb. I can max out my Gene with 32gb and occupy the slots, which is probably the main reason, looks and epeen, well looks as empty slots are irritating me.

I like to try things every so often but would have to look hard to find a use for 32gb I guess, most likely will end up again playing with my old DSLR, ripping HD movies for a NAS library, but if I can find something to play with for even a few months that I would enjoy trying that used 32gb then I would give it a go.

Currently though, I can't think of anything, as much as I can afford it now, by the time I could use 32gb we will most likely be on DDR8 with 8 core Pentiums :D

Yet I'm still tempted to just drop that extra £60 bucks for the "just in case one day" that usually never happen.

If you keep your system long enough that 32gb is needed everything else will be a bottleneck even with the extra ram.

Unless your running loads of VM or have some other high memory needs I would save the £60

I actively tried to use up my 16gb by opening all my Adobe apps, fallout 4, csgo and other stuff and I'm only using 12gb with 6gb being cached.

I won't ever need 32 on this system.
But if you do £60 isn't bad.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
16GB is pretty comfortable and I don't see needing more in a hurry any time soon for gaming that said I'm eyeing up more as lately I've been using a RAM drive for capturing footage while playing as it has the smallest performance impact and more would allow me to capture longer and/or higher quality.

I used to "multibox" some games which made 16GB highly desirable to have - performance suffered significantly with anything less especially when swapping between clients.

Associate
OP
16GB is pretty comfortable and I don't see needing more in a hurry any time soon for gaming that said I'm eyeing up more as lately I've been using a RAM drive for capturing footage while playing as it has the smallest performance impact and more would allow me to capture longer and/or higher quality.

I used to "multibox" some games which made 16GB highly desirable to have - performance suffered significantly with anything less especially when swapping between clients.

I ordered some trident Z from over here(across the pond) 16gb. I am quite certain it will do for the next few years :cool:

Soldato
I have 32gb on my Z77 and while I hardly ever use it all, it's not a waste. It looks pretty and it satisfies the OCD of not having all the slots full :D

Kinda funny reading the word 'waste' used in terms of having too much. People throw hundreds of pounds down the pan on GPU's without really thinking about it.

Edit: Team Group RAM is awesome stuff, would recommend it all. Over clocks like a champ if you fancy a bit of extra tweaking.

Last edited:
Associate
Kinda funny reading the word 'waste' used in terms of having too much. People throw hundreds of pounds down the pan on GPU's without really thinking about it.

In a lot of instances you will be getting some operational benefit for splashing out on a GPU, but 16GB more RAM sitting there doing absolutely nothing is certainly a waste.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have 16gb which is the max it takes, I had already had 1 8gb stick so thought what the hell, I don't do demanding gaming or not so much nor anything really, but I have never really seen 5gb used nevermind 16, unless the division used lots and I hadn't noticed, same with hardline.

If you can afford 32gb then why not, can never have too much ram and when it's time for over 16gb to be used regularly then you'd be covered.

Associate
Thing is, we regularily see custom build showcase gaming systems with all slots full in 32gb kits.

My old days systems, I remember it being 256mb, then 512mb, then 1026mb, basically 2gb, 4gb.

4gb was the recomended ammount back when you chose an E8600 or similar over a Q9550 for gaming, even those old systems I still have running benefit from 8gb kits, 4gb being a hindrance these days, my old Q9550 system was 8gb.

So if a DDR3 system remains in use long enough, will there ever be a point that it can use 32gb and not be a bottleneck. Cant see it, again it's OCD wanting to fill ugly holes with anodised heat sinks.

Soldato
deus ex mankind divided recommended specs, i'll let you know how much usage we get upto when it releases lol

Recommended Requirements
- Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K or AMD FX 8350 Wraith
- Memory: 16 GB RAM
- Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 480 - 1920 x 1080 or NVIDIA GTX 970 - 1920 x 1080
- Storage: 55 GB available space
- Additional Notes: 55GB HD space includes DLC

If it actually uses 16GB, then I'd definitely want at least 32GB as that'll keep the prefetch cache etc. in tact after you quit.

Permabanned
A heavily-modded Cities: Skylines gobbles RAM. I fired it up again after building a new system with 16GB DDR4 and a 1080 and with 700 mods (mainly additional assets) playing at the highest settings on 4K I am hitting 7GB just starting a new map (VRAM sitting at 7GB as well). Played for a few hours and overall RAM usage went over 13GB.

From reading the CS forums a lot of people have gone with 32GB because of this. I can't think of any other games that would benefit though.

Back
Top Bottom