is dell xps the only infinity ? need new laptop

Associate
hi guys

just sold my 2015 Razer blade 14. nice laptop but i felt a bit heavy, 14inch too small screen and not best pad. paid £2k for it on amazon :( prefered my 2014 maxbook pro 15

very interested to buy a dell xps15. good reviews but not perfect

is there any sign of other powerful laptops going edge to edge display? i just hate large borders like on the razer

cheers

Soldato
as no one else has answered, im my searching i didnt find any others that had the edge to edge screen like the dells

if i needed a laptop right now , i would be buy an xps 15

Caporegime
The XPS 15 is the only laptop of that size that has that format of screen. Trust me, I've spend a LOT of effort trying to find alternatives to Dell :p

It's not all sunshine and rainbows though, check out my other thread about the XPS 15 that I'm about to bump.

Associate
OP
The XPS 15 is the only laptop of that size that has that format of screen. Trust me, I've spend a LOT of effort trying to find alternatives to Dell :p

It's not all sunshine and rainbows though, check out my other thread about the XPS 15 that I'm about to bump.

thanks for reply.... if you had £1.5k to burn and needed a laptop now. 15" what would you go for ?

i dont see anything online about other edge to edge... guessing on dell have the tech ?
or should i wait for a refresh macbook 15 ? only thing is im a windows user

Soldato
As someone in the market for a new laptop I'm going to wait until Apple refresh their product range with Skylake chips and see what they bring out. Seems pretty much a sure fire thing that they'll be updated in the next 6 months.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/03/22/new-ultra-thin-13-15-macbooks-june-july/

I personally wouldn't buy another Dell as I've had bad experiences with the build quality and fit/finish on their XPS range in the past plus issues with Windows updates and drivers. Maybe they're better now but for £1k+ on a high end laptop I'd be reluctant to take the chance.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
An XPS 15 with the i7, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM and the FHD 1920x1080 non-touch monitor...

Because I ordered one yesterday :D

its looking likley i'll be doing same.... i cant wait 3-6 months for something better from apple

i was kinda hoping someone would know of a magical special laptop. i cant believe msi, gigibyte, Aorus, etc... dont have infinity display, killer track pad, light, ali premium materials/finish

Associate
OP
so i went into Selfridges in London to check out some laptops in person. very rare chance to see some MSI's, acer preditor, Gigibyte and Aorus etc.. unfortunetly imo didn't feel they had the premium feel like an xps or mbp, trackpads not as good, and understandably bigger/heavier

think xps15 only choice for me. but which model ? think non touch

Soldato
17.3” (43.94cm) NVIDIA GSync Anti-Glare FHD (1920x1080) 16:9 IPS panel, 6.2mm

Intel® Core i7-6700HQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz)

32GB DDR4 2133Mhz

NVIDIA GTX 980M

Samsung 2.5" 2TB Hard Drive

240GB SSD

Screen is a bit bigger than you wanted but that can be had for just over 1.5k

Associate
OP
so i went to john lewis and they had an xps15 on display fhd i5 version. had a chance to see it in the flesh and see if build quality and pad was up to standards. went ahead and bought it to road test and keep if i like it enough, i liked JL 90 day returns policy lol. after buying the razer blade unseen i thought was good idea to see in person

for sure lighter than my my15 razer blade and bigger screen. but i feel the 'infinity' pitch is a little misleading as yes you get close to edge at the top but on the bottom still have big border due to the camera, i dont think its much less border-less than a mac pro ?

Caporegime
Id imagine the inch at the bottom of the screen is so they can increase the size of the base by that inch in order to fit everything in.

Plus, if my screen went all the way to the bottom of the lid my fingers would obscure the task bar.

Soldato
I just bought one of these, the top model, it's almost perfect specs. The only thing I wish they had done is offered it in 4k with a matte non touch screen.

What i will say though is CALL DELL (if you order from them) I phoned up and said it was too expensive can I have some money off, so the lovely man on the phone gave me £300 off the asking price, 4 years free warranty and two USB-C adapter for free :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom