Aorus Owner's Lounge

Associate
Hey all,

I have a question.. I really like the X7 with 980m's in SLI but I am wary as I have heard, not sure where, that the Oculus Rift I have on order will simply not run on these mobile chips to ensure that end users experience of VR is not compromised by weak(er) hardware.

Whats the official deal with this? Just a rumor or established fact? Do I have to keep waiting for the X7DT or can I grab the latest X7 with mobile chips safe in the knowledge that when my rift finally arrives it will work?

-Ed.

Associate
Hey all,

I have a question.. I really like the X7 with 980m's in SLI but I am wary as I have heard, not sure where, that the Oculus Rift I have on order will simply not run on these mobile chips to ensure that end users experience of VR is not compromised by weak(er) hardware.

Whats the official deal with this? Just a rumor or established fact? Do I have to keep waiting for the X7DT or can I grab the latest X7 with mobile chips safe in the knowledge that when my rift finally arrives it will work?

-Ed.
Hi irtuk,

Sorry for the late reply.

Ideally, if the system is run with dGPU instead of iGPU, it should support VR like RIFT or VIVE. But Oculus themselves did inject some ways to filter out certain type of GPU such as the mobile version of the GTX family, however R&D recently got a retail version of RIFT at HQ and are going to test with our X7 pro v5 to see if we can get good performance and see what issues we run into.

Thanks,

R~
AORUS Gaming

Associate
Hey again.

What were the results of the tests on the X7 Pro V5 and the rift? I have just received my shipment slot and my Rift should be here by the end of the month.

Also is it possible to get a date on the X7DT being available here at Overclockers. If those are going to be coming into stock "soon" then obviously I would wait but if they are not, and the X7 Pro runs ok then that would be my choice.

My poison at the moment is Elite Dangerous if that helps.

Thanks.

Ed. M.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hey again.

What were the results of the tests on the X7 Pro V5 and the rift? I have just received my shipment slot and my Rift should be here by the end of the month.

Also is it possible to get a date on the X7DT being available here at Overclockers. If those are going to be coming into stock "soon" then obviously I would wait but if they are not, and the X7 Pro runs ok then that would be my choice.

Thanks.

Ed. M.

Hi irtuk,

We have seen the AORUS X7 v5 running VR applications during Computex, but our understanding is this wont be officially certified as such.

HQ are on shutdown for a long weekend, back on Monday - we will get update on the ETA for the X7 DT model as soon as they come back. So for now hang fire and we will update again next week.

Thanks,

Team AORUS

Associate
Hey again.

Thanks.

Ed. M.

Currently NVidia hands out their "VR Ready" certifications to desktop grade GPUs only. I expect this to change come the next GPU refresh cycle, however that is the reason that the AORUS X7 DT is Nvidia "VR Ready" and the X7 Pro v5 is not.

I don't have the specifics of the tests, but like Atom said we have been able to run games with the Rift without issues on both versions of the X7 (DT & Pro v5). I'll try to get some specifics for you from the guys that did the testing.

Thanks,

R~
AORUS Gaming

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hey again.

Thanks.

Ed. M.

Hi irtuk,

News from HQ is that the first units of AORUS X7 DT should arrive with OCUK by the end of next week......

Fingers crossed :)

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
And my rift arrived yesterday, 5 minutes before I had to leave for the Airport for another week in Sunny Finland. No, really, its really nice here!

Associate
Legend speaks of a prophecy, a delivery of the X7 DT to OCUK.

There are rumours that signs have started to appear, there are stirrings in the far east and smoke rises from, umm, a smokey thing. I also got an email suggesting that they might be on the way.

For the love of all that is good where are these laptops!

Ed (of the shire)

Last edited:
AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Legend speaks of a prophecy, a delivery of the X7 DT to OCUK.

There are rumours that signs have started to appear, there are stirrings in the far east and smoke rises from, umm, a smokey thing. I also got an email suggesting that they might be on the way.

For the love of all that is good where are these laptops!

Ed (of the shire)

Hi irtuk,,,,

Sorry for delay, there has been some stock delivered but was consumed with backorders.

I have good news though, if your order is placed with OCUK, we are sending more stock on Friday, so it "should" be with OCUK on Monday....

God willing it should then be with you Tue/Wed

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Team AORUS

Associate
No time to test really, spent the weekend with the kids, making French revolutionary hats for them as apparently their school is celebrating Bastille Day although why is beyond me as we live in England and Bastille day marked the beginning of a murderous reign of terror but hey.

Anyone looking at the pics that case fits the X7 perfectly and comes from a shop that it would be very, very generous to describe as a competitor to OCUK but they do sell computer components so I won't link them.

Last edited:
AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
No time to test really, spent the weekend with the kids, making French revolutionary hats for them as apparently their school is celebrating Bastille Day although why is beyond me as we live in England and Bastille day marked the beginning of a murderous reign of terror but hey.

Anyone looking at the pics that case fits the X7 perfectly and comes from a shop that it would be very, very generous to describe as a competitor to OCUK but they do sell computer components so I won't link them.

He he,,,, please do post picture of the hats !

We look forward to hearing your feedback once you have had time to get hooked up and into your new VR world...

Thanks for choosing AORUS, we trust you are happy with your purchase.

Regards,

Team AORUS

Associate
I just got the X5 Camo as I was finding my X7 too big to carry around TBH.

Can be noisy when the 980M is under a bit of load, but playing Fallout 4 @ 4K looks amazing on this laptop. The X7 was also only a 1920x1080 screen, which is good, but I have several 4K/5K monitors and I was starting to get picky about the low resolution.

I'm definitely a fan of the Aorus laptops, I'll be looking forward to when the mobile 1080 is released alongside a 120Mhz g-sync 4K display version :)

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
I just got the X5 Camo as I was finding my X7 too big to carry around TBH.

Can be noisy when the 980M is under a bit of load, but playing Fallout 4 @ 4K looks amazing on this laptop. The X7 was also only a 1920x1080 screen, which is good, but I have several 4K/5K monitors and I was starting to get picky about the low resolution.

I'm definitely a fan of the Aorus laptops, I'll be looking forward to when the mobile 1080 is released alongside a 120Mhz g-sync 4K display version :)

Hi danielanthony,

Thanks for feedback and glad to hear you are a FAN of our products and enjoyed 2 of them now :)

Regarding the new technology with 120Hz panel,,, yes this certainly improves things even further from the demos we saw in during Computex.

If you can post your invoice number (or Private message me) for the X5S CAMO, we will get your address details from OCUK and would like to send you a couple of gifts to welcome you further into our family :)

Also let us know what UK size of Hoodie you would wear,

Thanks.

Team AORUS.

Associate
It looks like my Aorus X3 V5 (2nd replacement) has failed less than six months.

I've always had the odd freeze when resuming from hibernation that have been frustrating but now:
- the laptop lasts a hour before BSOD with 'invalid store exception'
- if I try to download a large file I get a BSOD with 'critical process failed'
(Also sometimes other random failures)

And the clincher for me to point it to a failed SSD drive...
Running a chkdsk where it requires a reboot of Windows to perform throw a another BSOD - during a safe boot chkdsk?!? It complains about paging exception.

After all BSOD's it refuses to boot and instead drops to the bios screen and in there it can't find any drives. Power on and off will allow the machine to boot.

I have restored to a restore point, reinstalled Windows, ran Sfc /scannow removed everything but yet a simple chkdsk blows up the laptop.

Now left with a nice laptop that I guess I'll have to send back for a third time.
It's quite apparent that the drive has failed - is there any chance of an exchange of the drive? I don't mind paying for it and having a refund when I send the defunct unit back. Being Without the laptop again for weeks with the inevitable customs joy doesn't exactly fill me with happy thoughts

Associate
It's really dead this morning. Left idle the machine lasts a couple minutes before it BSOD with a Invalid Store Exception and it take quite a few restarts (usually a full power off) to get the bios to recognise the drive is actually there.
System restore won't restore a backup image as it says the destination file system is corrupt and to try chkdsk /r from a reboot (which I know will bluescreen the machine but will try again).

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
It's really dead this morning. Left idle the machine lasts a couple minutes before it BSOD with a Invalid Store Exception and it take quite a few restarts (usually a full power off) to get the bios to recognise the drive is actually there.
System restore won't restore a backup image as it says the destination file system is corrupt and to try chkdsk /r from a reboot (which I know will bluescreen the machine but will try again).

Hi ads green,

I remember you are in Ireland and we had delays before.

Let us know what you want to do as supplying parts is a possibility, or we can give you brand new machine and take that one back via OcUK to HQ.

This unit has 2 x SSD and is what I propose we swap for you.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoru...x-970m-6gb-gddr5-gaming-laptop-lt-028-au.html

Let us know

Regards,

Team AORUS

Back
Top Bottom