A Word Of Caution...

Soldato
Just bought a new HP Pavilion laptop (from a competitor, so can't post the link). CPU/GPU spec good and 2 x HD (one SSD for the O/S). After networking files across from the old laptop, grabbed a couple of bits on CD and DVD ROM to install and discovered.... no DVD drive!

Can't understand how I missed that, just assumed that any laptop sold as a gaming and multimedia machine is going to have an optical disk drive. Fortunately it looks as if external drives are cheap as chips off the rainforest, but is this now a common trend with brand name laptops - not to include an optical drive? OEM/wholesale these are probably, what, £15 at the most so seems a rather petty way to economise.

The laptop also comes sans any form of original Win 10 disc not even the OEM, just a backup partition - though I kind of expected that. I've also yet to find the headphone socket.

Performance wise it actually seems pretty good, so if I can ever work out to post reviews via "Reevoo" (which the Indian Food use rather than direct) would probably still give 4 stars, just a bit miffed that a basic essential is missed and I didn't spot the fact!

Soldato
What model number is it?

I would say it is more common for a laptop to come without a DVD drive these days. So much content is delivered in other formats and it allows the manufacturer to save some money and save/utilise the size and space.

It is pretty common not to get a Windows disc as well, although I wonder if there is a Bios configuration or something if you don't have a 'Use to Restore' kind of disc as how else do you tell it to use the backup partition.

You should have your Win10 key printed though, not sure if these work with default Win10 ISO though.

If you still have software on CD/DVD then consider moving them to USB. :D
Enjoy the new machine.

Soldato
OP
Update:

Can I please apply for the official OCUK "Dunce Of The Month" award?

I have now found the DVD drive, it's on the LHS but sits flush with the case and doesn't have an eject button, just a sweet spot to press or open via System Settings which is how I stumbled on it.

I also found the headphone socket...

So previous sentiments about IndianFood and HP are hastily withdrawn. :)

Soldato
Update:

I have now found the DVD drive, it's on the LHS but sits flush with the case and doesn't have an eject button, just a sweet spot to press or open via System Settings which is how I stumbled on it.

LOL I was about to post that the model quoted should have an optical drive. Should have gone specsavers or the laptop equivalant :) Mind you at OCUK you have to spend nearly £800 to get an optical drive in a laptop. You don't really need one though.
Andi.

Soldato
In proper high end gaming machines in the smaller form factors (14 inch) they are being cut as they waste far too much space (one optical slot is worth a 2.5" bay and 2x m.2 drives or a cooling upgrade to go from a 960m to a 970m).

It has been years since I last used a disc for anything other than a movie. YEARS.

Associate
Update:

Wow I thought my mom had a tough time with computers ... but you take the cake ;) grats on the new computer :)

Soldato
OP
Just thought I would revisit this thread a couple of months on.

Definitely forming the opinion despite the purported spec, this laptop is very much a case of "mutton dressed as lamb". If I run anything graphic intensive such as one of the train sim sandbox editors it is generating a huge amount of heat and the fans are whirring like a hairdryer. My old I3 with ancient ATI Radeon GPU was better. I'm beginning to suspect the so called (to use BBC terminology) Nvidia GPU is not the full Monty, but uses the Optimus arrangement where the onboard Intel GPU shifts load to Nvidia as required. I've actually tried setting the programs on the (limited) Nvidia interface to run with that as preference, but not convinced this always takes. Also very limited options in BIOS (fan on or off) to control fan speeds but given the amount of heat being generated, probably not a good idea.

The underside vents are all clean and clear as expected. Have ordered a cooling pad to see if that helps but overall it's a bit of a lemon and with hindsight should have upped the budget £150 to get a proper gaming laptop from OCUK or one of the custom build competitors.

Back
Top Bottom