Going for an interview without a suit

Associate
I interviewed someone today and he turned up in casual trousers and a shirt. Considering that I work for one of the big accountancy firms, it was a very strange decision.

Soldato
OP
That makes no sense in the finance industry!

Happy to say I've accepted the job, and turns out the salary/package is significantly over what a standard grad gets, and way over my current salary :D (I also did some haggling and got more :D)

Man of Honour
I generally don't feel uncomfortable interviewing in a suit regardless of what they are wearing. My current job, the agent explicitly told me to wear a conservative tie, suit, polishing shoes etc and the hiring manager was in jeans. In some ways it actually makes me a little more relaxed because (rightly or wrongly) it gives me the impression they aren't going to be judging me on my appearance so I'm not say there thinking 'is my tie knot done properly?' or whatever :)

They will still be judging your appearance :p its the first impression the interviewer gets.

IMO the most important thing isn't "wear a suit" but "make an effort".

Soldato
I didn't wear a suit for a recent interview I attended.

Wore some smart blue pants on one occasion and some smart light grey ones on another along with a white shirt and a dark navy blue blazer. No tie. Looked very smart (if I do say so myself) and the company hiring didn't seem to have an issue as they offered me a job!

I dont think its much of a MUST to wear a suit and tie for all jobs these days. I'd say as long as you have some smart pants and a fairly plain shirt to go with it you're golden. A jacket is a must imo though if you aren't going to wear a tie as it can look a bit too casual otherwise.

Man of Honour
I thought I'd use this thread instead of starting my own. I'm through to the second interview at a smallish company. It's a senior role and the first interview was with someone quite senior from the parent company. Naturally I wore a suit. The interviewer turned up in jeans and a shirt. Wearing a suit was absolutely right during that first interview, regardless of what the interviewer was wearing.

However most people in the building were dressed casually and unlike the first interview the second interview specifies smart casual. It's also with senior people but less senior than the first I think (yes that's unusual but I think it was because he was over from the US for only a few days).

So my dilema is whether to continue wearing a suit or heed the instructions and go more casual (I'd probably wear seperate trousers and jacket with a shirt). My inclination is to again wear the suit. My default position is always a suit for interviews and this is the first time I've ever wondered whether it's the right approach (because the senior interviewer was very casual and because of the instructions on the invite).

The role is a senior management one.

Caporegime
If you've been told to wear smart casual to the second interview then I'm not sure how this is a tough choice. Lose the jacket and tie at least.

Man of Honour
If you've been told to wear smart casual to the second interview then I'm not sure how this is a tough choice. Lose the jacket and tie at least.

Yes it seems an obvious choice although every part of me is screaming "always wear a suit" because the role I am going for is quite senior. However at the back of my mind is whether they may count a suit as "not fitting in to the culture".

If I do go smart casual then I will wear trousers, shirt (no tie) and seperate sports jacket (a more casual blazer). Still smarter than most people were wearing but not a suit. It just feels odd not wearing a suit to an interview :)

Man of Honour
Smart casual for me would still involve a jacket, but would be happy in dark jeans and shoes, open neck shirt and jacket. If the interview specifies smart casual then heed it is my advice, but be on the smart side (i.e. jacket, nice shirt, shoes).

Soldato
OP
Interestingly I seen (I assume graduate) going for a role with the company a few weeks ago and was wearing a full suit with trainers. Looked smart up top but hilarious as a whole!

Man of Honour
Smart casual for me would still involve a jacket, but would be happy in dark jeans and shoes, open neck shirt and jacket. If the interview specifies smart casual then heed it is my advice, but be on the smart side (i.e. jacket, nice shirt, shoes).

Yes I'll be heeding it. I will certainly wear a jacket. Not yet sure on chino's or very dark jeans.

Interestingly I seen (I assume graduate) going for a role with the company a few weeks ago and was wearing a full suit with trainers. Looked smart up top but hilarious as a whole!

Yes that look is just wrong :)

Soldato
I work in telecoms and we can pretty much wear what we want, but everyone I know who has gone for an interview internally, has always worn a suit. Same business dress for the ladies.

Soldato
Shoes, trousers, shirt and tie for me. I've never worn a suit to an interview and only once not got the job, and that was because it was a push for me and they went with someone with more experience.

This position, jeans, hiking boots and a tshirt because they gave me about an hours notice. Started the next day.

Also had a friend who helped with interviews at his company, if anyone turned up with a tie on or in a suit didn't get the job. That was a design based company though.

Back
Top Bottom