Hayfever - Thread

Caporegime
Ok guys n girls, who's got the Hayfever kicking in? Not as bad as it can get but I'm already sneezing and the itching of eyes. I'm sure it's to do with the grass cutters, as I can walk through fields of yellow without a single problem :o

Soldato
I'm more of a tree pollen kind of guy and as yet haven't been affected at all, however I think I'm going to start on the Piriton quite soon to start building a bit of a resistance before the *hopeful* nice weather.

Caporegime
Bit early for grass pollen this year, more likely tree pollen.

I'm both, unfortunately :(

April through to July :(

Antihistamine tablets not work for you guys??

Been through the lot. Finally found a combination that works which is daily Citirazine with top ups of Acrivastine (Benadryl) when needed. Plus a nasal spray and eye drops, and a supply of extra strong Halls to clear my nose.

Caporegime
OP
I haven't taken any meds yet, I think I will today and pick some up from Morrisons

Any recommendations?

Waits for no medical threads, well meh this is just hayfever! ;)

Soldato
Zirtek. I have tried all kinds of antihistamine tablets... but I just so happen to find the most expensive one to be the most effective, even though they all contain the same 10 mg of cetirizine hydrochloride :rolleyes:

I should add that I don't suffer from hayfever though - I suffer from hives. Antihistamine tabs help prevent and get rid of these stupid rashes that I get.

Caporegime
Zirtek. I have tried all kinds of antihistamine tablets... but I just so happen to find the most expensive one to be the most effective, even though they all contain the same 10 mg of cetirizine hydrochloride :rolleyes:

Cetirizine isn't covered by a patent, so you can get them uber cheap. Just ask a pharmacist for them. You can usually get packs of 30 for under £2.

No point in paying for the branded ones.

The only one that is still patented is Actrivastine which is in the Benadryl 8 hour tablets. The other 1 a day tablets with Loratadine in can be had cheap.

Soldato
******* hate hayfever with a passion, destroys my summer. Chilling with mates and I'm a sniffly snuffly mess with red eyes and constant moaning. Eeuuughhhh!

Associate
I've been getting hayfever symptoms the past week. I think it's the tree pollen as someone said above. Will expect a rash too when (if) the sun starts making a regular appearance.

******* hate hayfever with a passion, destroys my summer. Chilling with mates and I'm a sniffly snuffly mess with red eyes and constant moaning. Eeuuughhhh!

This. I feel your pain :mad:

Caporegime
Yeah, last year wasn't too bad because the constant rain washed the pollen out of the air.

This is actually a fallacy. Rain forms around 'something' in the atmosphere. It can be dust particles or anything, but during the summer it can be pollen.

Then when it rains that pollen that was high up in the atmosphere is carried back down to earth in a rain drop. Then when the ground dries that pollen is released back into the low level atmosphere and back into your nose and eyes.

As long as it stays wet you are ok, but if it rains and then dries it can be worse than had it not rained at all.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
I was listening to radio 2 yesterday and the guest doctor said (Hillary Jones) that their is a new nasel spray which has been showing good results. It's new on the market this year through presciption.

Associate
This is actually a fallacy. Rain forms around 'something' in the atmosphere. It can be dust particles or anything, but during the summer it can be pollen.

Then when it rains that pollen that was high up in the atmosphere is carried back down to earth in a rain drop. Then when the ground dries that pollen is released back into the low level atmosphere and back into your nose and eyes.

As long as it stays wet you are ok, but if it rains and then dries it can be worse than had it not rained at all.

I wondered why my hayfever flared up after the rain! Now I know.

Finally found a combination that works which is daily Citirazine with top ups of Acrivastine (Benadryl) when needed. Plus a nasal spray and eye drops, and a supply of extra strong Halls to clear my nose.

I see a couple of people at least are taking multiple meds at the same time - Is this advisable? I assumed that the 1 per day limit on antihistamines applied to all of them, not just each brand?

I've just started using Prevalin, seems pretty good so far but I'm reluctant to recommend it until I've used it for a good while. Anyone else tried it yet?

Associate
I only seem to get it when I clean out my chinchillas cage or in a grass field when the sun is beating down. I think I am pretty lucky not to react so much.

Back
Top Bottom