Gigabyte P37X4, Win 10 CPU Throttle

Associate
I have had Windows 10 for quite some time now but recently something strange has been happening.

Plugged in, high performance mode, the CPU sits idle at around 1.67Ghz. Whenever I fire up a game, it fires up to 3.4GHz but after around 5-10 minutes it will throttle back down to 1.67Ghz. The temp is only in the 70s as it always has 90s under full load using prime95.

It is pretty much making the laptop completely useless for gaming, every game stutters and alt tabbing is like alt tabbing 10 years ago when PC's had 1GB or am on Windows XP.

I have no idea what to do, i've tried everything. Google has led me no where. Any ideas?

So here is what seems to be happening :

1. Start up prime95
  2. Start Gigabyte smart manager, set fans to 100% (lift off)
  3. Start HWMonitor
  4. Run prime95 stress test
  5. CPU 100% usage, sits at 90°c and 3.4Ghz
  6. Drop fan to 45%
  7. CPU hits 95°, drops to 1.67GHz
  8. Does not recover

It seems while gaming, the stupid auto software is trying to manage the fan and keep the noise down, even when I select custom and force 100%. It still drops speed. I think I need to get temps down though, 90 seems high.

Last edited:
AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
I have had Windows 10 for quite some time now but recently something strange has been happening.

Plugged in, high performance mode, the CPU sits idle at around 1.67Ghz. Whenever I fire up a game, it fires up to 3.4GHz but after around 5-10 minutes it will throttle back down to 1.67Ghz. The temp is only in the 70s as it always has 90s under full load using prime95.

It is pretty much making the laptop completely useless for gaming, every game stutters and alt tabbing is like alt tabbing 10 years ago when PC's had 1GB or am on Windows XP.

I have no idea what to do, i've tried everything. Google has led me no where. Any ideas?

So here is what seems to be happening :

1. Start up prime95
  2. Start Gigabyte smart manager, set fans to 100% (lift off)
  3. Start HWMonitor
  4. Run prime95 stress test
  5. CPU 100% usage, sits at 90°c and 3.4Ghz
  6. Drop fan to 45%
  7. CPU hits 95°, drops to 1.67GHz
  8. Does not recover

It seems while gaming, the stupid auto software is trying to manage the fan and keep the noise down, even when I select custom and force 100%. It still drops speed. I think I need to get temps down though, 90 seems high.

Hi Gibbo3771,

Sorry to hear of your issue.

Can we ask, have you recently update drivers or made on other system changes?

We have already sent your post to HQ engineer to see if they are familiar with this issue - we will post again when we have further update for you.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
OP
Nope nothing has changed. Last night I updated all the drivers to try and solve the issue, but no luck. I was considering a repaste bit opening the laptop will void my warranty. But I also need my laptop, so sending or back is a pain.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Nope nothing has changed. Last night I updated all the drivers to try and solve the issue, but no luck. I was considering a repaste bit opening the laptop will void my warranty. But I also need my laptop, so sending or back is a pain.

OK - repasting, opening up the chassis, will not void the warranty, so if you think it may solve, then please proceed. Be careful inside the machine, as "customer induced damage" isn't covered by the warranty, but if you have the experience / confidence to perform the task, then please proceed as simply opening the chassis will not void warranty.

We will post any further feedback from HQ when we receive.

Let us know your result.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
OP
So I went out to the local computer shop and bought some E1 IC Essential Cooler Master thermal compound.

I scraped off the old stuff, which was all over the die and PCB in clumps. So that is pretty bad in it's own right.

I applied the new paste, and low and behold the results.

Old -
Max temp - 95°. under 100% CPU load, fans at 100%

New -
Max temp - 75°, under 100% CPU load and the fans at 55%.

UPDATE : Still throttles even at 75°.

Last edited:
AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
So I went out to the local computer shop and bought some E1 IC Essential Cooler Master thermal compound.

I scraped off the old stuff, which was all over the die and PCB in clumps. So that is pretty bad in it's own right.

I applied the new paste, and low and behold the results.

Old -
Max temp - 95°. under 100% CPU load, fans at 100%

New -
Max temp - 75°, under 100% CPU load and the fans at 55%.

UPDATE : Still throttles even at 75°.

Hi Gibbo3771,

OK, couple of questions please.....

Was the system performance normal in Win8.1 and you see the change since installing Win10?

If it was OK before, can you please check the following:

Did you perform the driver updates from our web-site?

Please check in update manager to confirm you have all our latest versions and BIOS updates.

Please let us know and we will go from there.

Thanks,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
OP
Hi Gibbo3771,

OK, couple of questions please.....

Was the system performance normal in Win8.1 and you see the change since installing Win10?

If it was OK before, can you please check the following:

Did you perform the driver updates from our web-site?

Please check in update manager to confirm you have all our latest versions and BIOS updates.

Please let us know and we will go from there.

Thanks,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

I had Win8.1 for around 2 month, I have had Win10 ever since then, which must be around 6 month now. It was running fine on both up until now.

I updated the drivers from the Gigabyte website. All to the latest version for Windows 10.

Update:

I can't seem to get it to throttle with just the CPU being stressed. When running Prime95 the CPU hits a max of 75°, however when I run Prime95 and Furmark it hits a whopping 95°. Now before it was hitting this temp with just Prime running so I can't imagine what it was hitting before, I never tested that at the time.

So far I have been running Prime95 and Furmark for around 6 minutes. I have a max temp of 96° but most importantly the CPU has went from 3.4Ghz down to 1.67Ghz steadily over this time, however the temps on the CPU are not dropping after the throttle and it's not recovering back to 3.4Ghz after everything is shutdown.

Last edited:
Associate
I had Win8.1 for around 2 month, I have had Win10 ever since then, which must be around 6 month now. It was running fine on both up until now.

I updated the drivers from the Gigabyte website. All to the latest version for Windows 10.

Update:

I can't seem to get it to throttle with just the CPU being stressed. When running Prime95 the CPU hits a max of 75°, however when I run Prime95 and Furmark it hits a whopping 95°. Now before it was hitting this temp with just Prime running so I can't imagine what it was hitting before, I never tested that at the time.

So far I have been running Prime95 and Furmark for around 6 minutes. I have a max temp of 96° but most importantly the CPU has went from 3.4Ghz down to 1.67Ghz steadily over this time, however the temps on the CPU are not dropping after the throttle and it's not recovering back to 3.4Ghz after everything is shutdown.

Hi Gibbo,

Can you tell me what version of Smart Control and BIOS that you're using? You can get this info by checking Smart Update or just take a screenshot and get that to us.
I'm going to have the guys at HQ try and duplicate this on Win10. I just want to verify so we are for sure testing under the same conditions as you.

Thanks,

R~
GIGABYTE Notebook

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom