Who's to blame for Harambe the Gorilla death?

Caporegime
Backstory - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36407643

New development (although just opinion) - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tml?login#readerCommentsCommand-message-field

Lots of people are flinging their wrath on the parent's, who were indeed neglectful, but I can't get away from the fact that in this day and age, a zoo can still have an enclosure for a dangerous wild animal that a child can get into. It should be an impossibility surely? Didn't they learn anything from the Jersey Zoo incident. Now a poor beautiful gorilla is dead because parents and the zoo couldn't do their job properly.

Last edited:
Caporegime
There should be enough security there to stop kids climbing in. Kids are adventerous by nature.

Though should animals really be enclosed for our entertainment?

Caporegime
parents, enclosing the animals properly is reasonable enough, the Zoo shouldn't be expected to go above and beyond when trying to keep people out of places they're clearly not supposed to be

having the kid right there forced their hand... they *had* to shoot the Gorilla :(

Soldato
The trouble is that while the Zoo has to do everything "reasonable" to prevent entry, there will always be some way a person will get access if they absolutely want to, unless they fully enclosed the habitat in a perspex box or similar, which'll never happen due to cost and animal welfare.

IMHO the poor parenting of a stupid kid were much more to blame than the zoo.

Don
Parents.

A kid/person could get into almost any enclosure in a zoo if they really wanted to.

Just because you can jump in front of a moving car, doesn't mean that you should.

Soldato
Looked to me like the gorilla was pretty gentile with the boy, at times was even looking like he was keeping him safe. Such a shame they had to kill the gorilla though because of incompetent parenting. Zoos are safe, I don't know of any zoo I've been to where it would have been so easy to get into a dangerous enclosure.

Associate
Though should animals really be enclosed for our entertainment?

Whilst I agree with you for the most part, I think these days it's a lot more about conservation. Sure, humans are despicable for causing these creatures to become rare in the first place, but Harambe was born in captivity and used for breeding programmes. If these breeding programmes eventually lead to a more stable population of endangered species, of which subsequent generations can be released into the wild then I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing.

The income generated by allowing people to come in and see them can then be used for the better. Making animals perform, however, like in places like sea world, is something I find more bitter.

Caporegime
OP
Looked to me like the gorilla was pretty gentile with the boy, at times was even looking like he was keeping him safe. Such a shame they had to kill the gorilla though because of incompetent parenting. Zoos are safe, I don't know of any zoo I've been to where it would have been so easy to get into a dangerous enclosure.

Yes. At the 40 second mark he holds him gently and looks around concerned as if to make sure no other gorillas were approaching, just like Jambo did at Jersey Zoo.

Soldato
Needed some Lovejoy.

If anyone is to blame then its the parents fault.

Sad and unfortunate situation though.

I wonder how much the kid will remember of this.

Caporegime
OP
Whilst I agree with you for the most part, I think these days it's a lot more about conservation. Sure, humans are despicable for causing these creatures to become rare in the first place, but Harambe was born in captivity and used for breeding programmes. If these breeding programmes eventually lead to a more stable population of endangered species, of which subsequent generations can be released into the wild then I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing.

The income generated by allowing people to come in and see them can then be used for the better. Making animals perform, however, like in places like sea world, is something I find more bitter.

Lions and Tigers are the biggest difference. Living in Longleat, awesome. Dragged around in circus' or Las Vegas shows, disgusting.

Man of Honour
Yes. At the 40 second mark he holds him gently and looks around concerned as if to make sure no other gorillas were approaching, just like Jambo did at Jersey Zoo.

yeah but that was to soften him up for whats about to happen at the 50 second mark :o hence the change of camera angle??

Back
Top Bottom