• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cannonlake Desktop CPUs

Soldato
Has the wikipedia article written accurately?

This section doesn't seem to be cited.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannonlake

Due to low 10nm yields, Cannonlake will be limited to 15 Watt U and 5.2 Watt Y system-on-chip parts with GT2. Higher power mobile and desktop platforms will receive an update in the form of a 2nd 14nm process refinement, Coffee Lake, that is said to share Cannonlake's architectural refinements.

Coffee Lake will exist in lieu of Desktop Cannonlake?

Associate
Has the wikipedia article written accurately?

This section doesn't seem to be cited.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannonlake

Coffee Lake will exist in lieu of Desktop Cannonlake?

Essentially yes.

Intel has said Coffee Lake will come after Kaby Lake, and be essentially a 14nm version of Cannonlake. Also supposedly it'll go up to 6 cores.

Whether or not desktop gets 'true' 10nm Cannon Lake is less clear. But 14nm 6 core Coffee Lake (which is Cannon Lake arch) is meant to be confirmed.

Soldato
OP
What a disaster. The whole point of a die shrink is that you can increase the clockspeeds on a mature architecture.

Well done to those that bought Skylake.

Soldato
What a disaster. The whole point of a die shrink is that you can increase the clockspeeds on a mature architecture.

Well done to those that bought Skylake.

Clockspeeds (particularly max overclocked speeds) haven't really gone up now for a while.... Witness bw-e often being outpaced oc'd by hw-e chips that clock better

Associate
Coffee Lake is the most pointless money grab ever.

"14nm version of Cannonlake"

So.... Skylake?

Well it's mean't to have refinements, so maybe 10% more IPC than Skylake (Kaby Lake supposedly has 5% more, and we'll find out soon).

So 6-core chip with 10% more IPC than Skylake, and 15% more IPC than Broadwell-E, likely also clocking better than Broadwell-E. This sounds like a decent product, also assuming the 6-core sells for ~£300.

Soldato
Skylake's IPC is roughly 60% higher than Bloomfield/Westmere, which came 7 years earlier. Obviously it depends on the workload though, this is just an appromximate average.

So that's less than 10% improvement per year. Would be interested to see how that compares to previous 7 year periods if such a table/graph exists.

Soldato
Skylake's IPC is roughly 60% higher than Bloomfield/Westmere, which came 7 years earlier. Obviously it depends on the workload though, this is just an appromximate average.

So that's less than 10% improvement per year. Would be interested to see how that compares to previous 7 year periods if such a table/graph exists.

It's a bit less than that probably. Clock for clock an i5-6600 is about 43% faster than an i5-760 in cinbench, x264, and 7zip.

There's only 5 years between these chips (Q3'15 and Q3'10), so a 7.4% improvement year on year (compounded).

Edit: actually you said bloomfield/westmere, so we could compare an i7-920 and an i7-6700 (ark). Surprisingly the mean efficiency difference is only +38%, over 6.75 years that's 8.8% per year. (The median is probably more reliable, +49%, because those 3d particle movement benchmarks drag the average right down.)

Last edited:
Associate
Anandtech also did an in-depth look into the IPC increases since Sandy Bridge.

Summary: http://images.anandtech.com/doci/9483/01 - Gains over Sandy_575px.png

From article: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/9

So in the absolute worst case, it still has a 5.5% improvement. And when new instruction sets are used, and other arch refinements taken advantage of the improvement is just shy of a whopping 70%.

Adding extra RAM bandwidth from DDR4 also nets you a little more IPC.

So the overall average, according to Anandtech is 24.8% increase in IPC from Sandy to Skylake, which a maximum increase of ~70% if a task is strongly tailored to the improvements.

If Kaby Lake adds another ~5% we're then up to ~30% average IPC over Sandy Bridge. This may not be earth-shattering, but it's certainly a decent increase for people on Sandy/Ivy.

Soldato
So in the absolute worst case, it still has a 5.5% improvement. And when new instruction sets are used, and other arch refinements taken advantage of the improvement is just shy of a whopping 70%.

A bit misleading. It looks like only Dolphin Benchmark (a Gamecube/Wii emulator?) had a really substantial jump, and even then it was mainly between IB and Haswell, almost certainly due to AVX -> AVX 2.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a bit less than that probably. Clock for clock an i5-6600 is about 43% faster than an i5-760 in cinbench, x264, and 7zip.

There's only 5 years between these chips (Q3'15 and Q3'10), so a 7.4% improvement year on year (compounded).

Edit: actually you said bloomfield/westmere, so we could compare an i7-920 and an i7-6700 (ark). Surprisingly the mean efficiency difference is only +38%, over 6.75 years that's 8.8% per year. (The median is probably more reliable, +49%, because those 3d particle movement benchmarks drag the average right down.)

Yeah I was looking at i7-920 v i7-6700K with obviously the i7-920 being hugely clock adjusted to match 4 GHz. You have to be careful what benchmarks you look at because certain tasks benefit hugely from new instruction sets and others don't. An average improvement of 50-60% seems about right, but Bloomfield came out in 2008 so there's been 7 years between them.

Back
Top Bottom