• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I5 4690K Running stock shall i over clock ?

Associate
Hi guys im running a i5 4690k at stock and havnt really bothered with OC should i over clock it, ive never OC before so im not 100% sure what to do, is there a guide out there and is it pretty easy ? what speed should i be looking at to keep it within the safe limit of the cpu ?

Cheers

Soldato
Good Guides on OCN: http://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics and pretty sure people will be able to answer any specific questions you may have. Its not hard per say once you have read the guides, will just need to be patent and test your settings with some stress tests to ensure stability.

Speed or frequency of the CPU will not be the setting your looking at for determining the limit and if its safe. Rather it will be voltage and temperature. Some chips as an example could do 4.9 ghz @ 1.3 volts while another chip may fail to do 4.6 Ghz @ 1.4 volts and get very hot at that, (extreme examples) but each CPU is unique so that's where the testing and tweaking will come in.

Associate
OP
Thanx for the replies guys, i mainly use my pc for gaming with a 970 but thinking of upgrading it to the 1070

Soldato
Depends on the games and the monitor.

Rather than going back and forth like this the best thing to do is overclock it a bit (just put the multiplier up a bit) and see if you get a difference.

Soldato
It would be rude not to!!

Whack it up to 4.5Ghz which should be perfectly possible with 95% of 4690's at no more than 1.25vlts.

I can run mine at 4.8Ghz, 1.30vlts if I wanted to but I stick to 4.5Ghz.

There really isn't much point going beyond 4.5 though as any gains will be imperceptible.

Soldato
As above

But do you need to? I suspect not
Should you? Well you've been here a year now why has it taken so long!!!

Man of Honour
I have a 4690k running at 4.4GHz - and it's been stable as a rock over the past year or so, even in the summer (it is water cooled). :)

As has been mentioned, no point in having a k series if you don't exploit its performance ;)

Back
Top Bottom