• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i5-4690K @ 4.2ghz good enough for BF1?

Soldato
My specs are very similar to yours and I have to say that IS disappointing.

But that depends on what levels you're running the game at.
Surely that can be scaled back.

I've tried low, medium, high and even Ultra and I have the same issue.

1080p

Infact on low settings my 1070 shows 40-50% usage but my CPU is locked at 100% still.

I've just received a 5820k today so will see what difference that makes.

Soldato
Yeah solid CPU, using it in my HTPC and has no I issues with most titles and BF1 Beta@ 1080p nor 3440x1440 with R9 Nano. How far it overclocks is down to the lottry. Got mine running at 1.3 volts @ 4.7 Ghz on maximus impact. Does a cracking job most the time. No doubt he could push his chip abit further.

Sorry not derail but did you make a build log or have any pics of your system?

Soldato
OP
Lets hope its going to be fixed with a patch otherwise the "buy an i5, AMD suck" brigade will need to be put on suicide watch..

Was playing BF1 last night, Ultra settings and the 8350 was around 40%.

Need to have a play properly today as was having a few issues but for a chip of its age I am very pleased with the performance in BF1.

Associate
4690k at 4.6GHz here and I get 100% CPU usage and FPS drops to 30 in multiplayer.

That's with a 1070

I can believe those min specs.
try opening the command promt and type gametime.maxvariablefps 61
my cpu usage come right down from 100% after capping my fps, you can move up your fps then till you find a sweet spot. I capped mine at 80fps because it was running fine at that and im using a 144hz monitor, im using a [email protected] with air cooler 16gb ram and a gtx770.

Caporegime
one of my mates has same gpu as me and a i5 2500k ocd to 4ghz he is getting nowhere near same frame rate constantly as me. massive drops on maps.

think it maybe a sign of the older stuff getting caught up.

Soldato
OP
Been playing at high settings last few days, 60fps with v-sync on.

CPU was around 60% ish.

Installed latest gfx drivers so will try again at ultra to see if the stutters has gone and report back.

Re. friend he is playing on low settings and able t play at decent framerate.

Associate
Quick update. Installed my new 5820 and I'm now getting constant 140fps on high settings so it does seem bf1 needs more than a quad core.

It helps but it defo doesn't need it.

Both set ups in my sig are getting 80-90fps no problems at the stated resolutions, Ultra preset DX11. That's one dual core with HT and one quad without HT.

Caporegime
It helps but it defo doesn't need it.

Both set ups in my sig are getting 80-90fps no problems at the stated resolutions, Ultra preset DX11. That's one dual core with HT and one quad without HT.

do run benchmarks with min max and avg fps.you will probably see quite a difference especially in big games with 64 players.

Associate
do run benchmarks with min max and avg fps.you will probably see quite a difference especially in big games with 64 players.

Sure, I'm just saying you don't need more than 4 cores, or even 2+2HT. Its not like we're struggling for 60fps, we're at significantly over and at Ultra settings :) this is on busy 64 player servers.

For those wanting 144fps then yes you would want more than 4 cores.

Caporegime
no its about the massive fps drops people are getting on i5s with bf1. some are dropping to mins of 30s fps.

so that is struggling.so you need to facture in minimum fps which most dont.

do timed benchmarks with fraps 1 min runs in 64 man games.do it three times then look at the mins.

Soldato
try opening the command promt and type gametime.maxvariablefps 61
my cpu usage come right down from 100% after capping my fps, you can move up your fps then till you find a sweet spot. I capped mine at 80fps because it was running fine at that and im using a 144hz monitor, im using a [email protected] with air cooler 16gb ram and a gtx770.

I don't cap my FPS. Running at 144Hz I want as close to 140fps as possible.

You can get 130fps on 64 player multiplayer with a 4690k (and my 1070) however the FPS fluctuates so wildly it's constantly up and down. As DG said, I saw drops to 30s in most cases. Rather annoying when your trying to fight and aim and the game is stuttering all over the place.

With the CPU upgrade that issue solved itself and on ultra at 1080p i'm running 140+ constantly.

The i5 is fine if your happy with average performance. I wasn't so I upgraded

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom