• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Help to choose a 4790K batch number, all made in Vietnam

Associate
Hello guys,

I am plan to buy an 4790K and the store here in Greece give me the option to choose from this batch numbers (all made in Vietnam)

Batch:
1) X531A945
2) X527B073
3) X515C694
4) X532A982

Is there any difference in performance from this batch numbers?

I try to read the numbers and X for Vietnam 5 for 2015 32 i think the week?

And the letters A or B or C means something ?

Thanks everyone for the time and any help can give.

Andreas
Athens/Greece.

Soldato
I would maybe chose the C batch chip but I don't own a 4790k so not sure if there's a generalised improvement over batches..#3 first then #2 but it's all pretty random either way.

Last edited:
Soldato
Off topic but how did you get 5.1ghz?? de lidded?

It's a 'golden' chip BriT a ridiculously good clocker - 5GHz stable with 1.28v, 5.1GHz takes a bump or two beyond 1.3v for stability. Benches 5.4GHz stable with 1.45v. It really didn't need it but out of curiosity I did delid it, and its under custom water so temps are great :)

I dont think the letter is a stepping or anything, I think its just part of the serialisation number.

Pretty sure it's just part of the manufacturing batch number. Only reason I said I would give the C batch a try is that most if not all the best clocking 3770k's came from the Costa C batches. This is not at all relevant to a 4790k lol but my brain says C if asked to pick one at random :o

Maybe check the HWbot thread for batch numbers here.

Soldato
That's insane, mine needs 1.28v just for 4.6ghz lol. I might delid mine soon, do you just run the chip bare against the cooler?

Not wanting to hijack the OP's thread lol but I did try that mate. I bought the EK Ivy kit and even tried a MSI delid die guard on my ASUS board. I found both to be pretty terrible, the temps with the die guard were especially bad. With the naked Ivy kit the standoffs for the mount need to be screwed tight against the board which isn't the easiest to do with so little clearance to get a spanner in.

Both bare die methods create so many opportunities to damage the socket pins. So much so I was really careful and I still managed to bend some pins :o

If you do delid just stick with CLU and the IHS placed back on. Don't be afraid to use more CLU than you need. More is definitely better than too little. I put a fair bit on the die and the underside of the IHS and the temps are great :)

Associate
OP
Its not going to make much, if any difference.

I'd choose X532A982 simply because its the newest, as silicon generally improves as time goes on.

I post quite late, but because of job time and work.

Thanks for the advice mate, really choose this batch X532A982 and I am verry happy.

Really take the luck and say "the guy tell me choose this....and say why not?"

The results.....

4.9 at 1.38 stable and the cache to 4.4 , i setup the system before 5 days and dont find until now what is the best settings.

It can stay on 4 at 1.050v and run XTU and Cinebench many times.

The mobo is Asrock Z97 Professional and Crucial XT 1600 (overclocked to 2000Mhz and 10-11-11-30-1T)

Already order a kit of 2400 c10 g.skill, as for the time no one sell the c9 kit with Samsung IC.

And for the last time THANKS!!!! :D

Cinebench
http://hwbot.org/submission/3344162_rigasgr_cinebench___r15_core_i7_4790k_984_cb

XTU with the memory from 1600 to 2000
http://hwbot.org/submission/3343831_rigasgr_xtu_core_i7_4790k_1150_marks

Soldato
Nice, looks like you got a chip that clocks very similar to mine, and maybe even the same ram :)

I run my chip at 4.8 using 1.3v for normal use and only use 4.9 when im playing with benchmarks. I've never had a CPU longer than a couple of years but im thinking this one is really gonna last as it seems so overpowered for games still, thats why i backed off the overclock a little so it doesnt deteriorate too fast over the years.

Soldato
i think mine can do 4.7 at 1.25 or so , but i'm keeping it at 4.5 with 1.168v for less room heat and quietness its ace mine is delided as well

memory at 2200 cas9 scores higher then 6700k with ddr4 memory of 3000 and in benches .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom