• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Pentium G4620: A new budget CPU king?

Soldato
Looks like the Kaby Lake Pentium is a 2 core / 4 thread chip with a 3.8 Ghz clock speed. Not to shabby at all. If this comes in at circa £50 like previous Pentiums this could the best budget CPU for years.

HGSsdoo.jpg

Associate
If that's all correct then yeah it looks good, but the hyperthreading seems weird. I think this is more likely to actually be an i3 circa £110. Unless they are re-jigging their line up, in which case its anyone's guess.

Don
Wishful thinking no doubt, but could it open up the way for consumer i7's to be 6 core?

Celeron - 2 Cores, 2 Threads
Pentium - 2 Cores, 4 Threads
i3 - 4 Cores - 4 Threads
i5 - 4 Cores - 8 Threads
i7 - 6 Cores - 12 Threads?

Soldato
So an i3 skylake. Will be nice if Intel can drop this in around Athlon 860k money.

In other ways it's not that impressive compared to Skylake quads. The Xeon E3 1240L v5 is a 4 core 8 thread chip with a 3.2Ghz clock and a TDP of 25 watts. The 1260L is 3.9Ghz for 45 watts and both have much more cache.

2 cores and 4 thread at 51 watts is pretty meh unless this ships with a meaty IGP faster than AMD's APU's?

Soldato
In the same place it is at the minute - between the Pentium and the i5 :p

Would also open the way for an i3k sku though.

As I said though - wishful thinking on my part

i3 K chips? Overclockable on basic chipsets, no IGP with a bigger cache? Would be interesting.

Soldato
Wishful thinking no doubt, but could it open up the way for consumer i7's to be 6 core?

i3 - 4 Cores - 4 Threads
i5 - 4 Cores - 8 Threads

Yeah that's what I'm wondering, if this is so I will be upgrading to Kaby, maybe Intel know that they haven't been doing enough and AMD with Zen is pushing them to get more cores.

Soldato

i3 - 4 Cores - 4 Threads
i5 - 4 Cores - 8 Threads

It's already been posted many times that we'll get 6 core I7's with Coffee Lake, in 2018/2019. Until then it's the usual Mainstream 4 core/enthusiast 6, 8, 10 etc core.

I'll probably make Coffee Lake my next upgrade, with a nice PCI-E V4 motherboard and Intel Optane memory support.

Don
I can't see how. Intel aren't just going magic a chipset and CPU from thin air and even if AMD sell every chip they make for twice what it worth will Intel even care?

Never say never - they have released emergency products before (Original Pentium 4 Extreme Edition ?).

It's unlikely to need a new chipset, as nothing changes on that side of things - at worst it's probably a bios update. Whether 6 cores can physically fit on 1151, and whether it can be done within the power/thermal constraints is probably another matter.

Caporegime

i3 - 4 Cores - 4 Threads
i5 - 4 Cores - 8 Threads

I thought the same, if Zen is even remotely competitive then they are either going to have to slash prices across the board or offer more for the money.

Back
Top Bottom