• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6700k - quick temp spikes - normal?

Associate
I've noticed something since putting a new build together about three weeks ago. Idle cpu (i7 6700k, haven't overclcoked it) temps are great, around 19c. However when I open something like Photoshop they instantly jump to around 42c but then almost immediately straight back down to 19 or 20 when I start using it.

Same when I'm unzipping a rar file or whatever. It seems that any rise in temps only occurs when I open a program but its the nature of the increase - it doesn't go from 19 to 20 to 25 to 28 to 32, etc. It just goes from one figure to the other in a split second with no increments. Is that normal? This was my first new build in eight years so maybe this is the norm these days?

I'm using a Raijintek EreBoss High Performance CPU Cooler, Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound and have it all in a Coolermaster HAF 932 so airflow isn't a problem. Everything was fitted and installed correctly too.

Using Core Temp to monitor everything.

Last edited:
Associate
that is normal. Main reason is that the cores are not soldered into the IHS, Intel uses thermal paste in between instead. Since thermal paste can be deteriorated or bad quality it doesn't transfer the heat instantly to the lid. Hope it clears enough, not a native speaker here. :)

Associate
Most likely the stock settings for motherboard is pushing higher voltage through the CPU whilst it is under initial load opening the selected program.

It is worth seeing if you have latest BIOS installed and/or under volting the chip.

Nothing to worry about as chip is well under safe max temps.

Associate
OP
Thanks fellas. Voltage and overclocking and all that stuff is way over my head. I done a little bit of googling based on the above replies and found some info on under volting:

http://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/how_to_manually_set_and_undervolt_your_cpu_vcore/1

Provided this applies to my problem, here is a shot I took when i ran cpu-z

2YXyQc.jpg

whilst my mainboard (Asus Z170 Pro Gaming) bios says my cpu core/cache voltage is 1.328v/Auto.

Do I need to do anything or am I barking up the wrong tree altogether here? :confused:

(incidentally, when I opened this page in my browser my temp shot from idle 17 to 49 for three or four seconds. It dropped back to and has remained at 15).

Associate
Hi

The spikes occur and will, just like it was said at the start. Happens to my CPU too. And my motherboard also pushes more Voltage than really needed when I leave Voltage to Auto.
However, I think you could get Vcore down a bit. On stock clocks, in my opinion, 1.2V-1.25v should be enough.
I have 6700k myself, but I guess I got a good chip, as it runs 4.6GHz at 1.2v~

Associate
OP
Hi

The spikes occur and will, just like it was said at the start. Happens to my CPU too. And my motherboard also pushes more Voltage than really needed when I leave Voltage to Auto.
However, I think you could get Vcore down a bit. On stock clocks, in my opinion, 1.2V-1.25v should be enough.
I have 6700k myself, but I guess I got a good chip, as it runs 4.6GHz at 1.2v~

Yeah, I'm seeing that figure a lot after googling. I basically just change it from auto to the figure you mentioned in BIOS and that's it, yes?

Soldato
Spikes when pushing voltage through when doing some work, opening a programme, spikes are entirely normal. This is heat which happens instantly which is not something that a cooler will eliminate. Happens with even delidded and X99 CPUs with thier soildered IHS.

As mentioned go into the BIOS and change the voltage from auto to a manual figure (though keep the CPU core on adaptive as it will allow the voltages to drop at idle / less intensive tasks), this will usually shave a few millivolts off what the Auto setting will use and results in a slightly cooler CPU, though spikes will still be normal.

Having said that small spikes to 49/50 degrees are well within limits so it's fine.

Associate
OP
Right, changed the voltage (1.25v), reset the PC and took cover (it was my first time, okay!)

Still getting what I now know are normal spikes but the cpu temp is only hitting low thirties instead of forty to fifty.

Happy ;)

Associate
OP
Bah, loads of BSOD when playing various games last night. Went back to the auto voltage and everything is more stable.

Sod it, think I'll leave well enough alone. An idiot like me has no business playing with BIOS settings.

Back
Top Bottom