• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Hardware and usage Dilemma !

Caporegime
I have a 4790k running at stock 4.4ghz in my gaming PC on a B85 chipset.

This PC started its life as a Cheap Gaming PC running a G2358 running at 4ghz.

I then upgraded to a 4790K and then a GTX 1080:p

All my games are installed on the SSD etc...

And TBH this does fly in all games.

In my recording studio I had a 6 Core Xeon on X58 but sold this recently due to the fact that this PC is left on most of the time and it was using quite a lot of power and heat. So I sold it.

I bought a 6700K, Asus Z170M-PLUS, 16 GB DDR4 2666mhz as a replacement Music PC

Do you think its worth the effort of making this Skylake my Gaming PC and putting the Devils Canyon 4790k machine in the recording studio?

Its just means installing everything from scratch again on both machines. Which I will do if I'll huge gains in gaming.

Or do you think its just not worth it?

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't bother.

I also would question replacing the X58 machine with a 6700K to save power. The old one probably used about 180-200 W. The new one might be down around 80-100 W assuming you got a more efficient PSU too. Put it this way - I used to have 100 W of lightbulbs in my bathroom and I didn't notice the room get colder when I replaced them with LEDs. :p Edit: OK bad example (lights aren't on that many hours per day) but point still stands.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Will make a very little difference
Unless you want M.2 support or usb type C on your gaming pc

Thought as much

I wouldn't bother.

I also would question replacing the X58 machine with a 6700K to save power. The old one probably used about 180-200 W. The new one might be down around 80-100 W assuming you got a more efficient PSU too. Put it this way - I used to have 100 W of lightbulbs in my bathroom and I didn't notice the room get colder when I replaced them with LEDs. :p Edit: OK bad example (lights aren't on that many hours per day) but point still stands.

One of the main reasons was noise and form factor so I could go micro atx.

And new shiny :p

Back
Top Bottom