Formula Boinc 2016

Associate
I'm into the BIOS again phew running one cpu and 2 sticks of ram and my 970 gfx card.

The BIOS is 3204

I'm not quite sure what I should try now, put on a working copy of windows 7Pro onto an ssd and see if that's all ok.

Or should I now try adding the other cpu again?

I'm sorry this is off topic guys but I'm not the only owner of said board on this sub forum (Looks at Hanluc) :D

EDIT: Just saved optimised defaults, reboot and hang at 69 again. I don't understand wtf is going on here...Will swap the cpu now....Will update you guys later if I get anywhere.

Last edited:

PDW

PDW

Associate
Having done a little searching I would tend to think that it is more likely to be faulty RAM causing issues. Unless you know it works in another board I'd swap them in and out to make sure they all let you boot to where you are up to now. Takes time but at least you should be able to rule the RAM out (if not all the actual slots).

Associate
I've just realised that you can run a single ram stick with only one cpu installed, I thought you had to have 2 which meant being slightly harder to identify if one is faulty. But that's only for dual cpu setup.

So anyway its currently installing Win7 with swapped cpu and 2 ram sticks. I'm gonna let it do it thing then go from there.

Associate
Ok guys, its all working again !

I dunno how but I just used one cpu and ram stick reinstalled Win7 Pro. Shutdown each time to check all for ram sticks, then swapped the cpus and it booted every time. Then I went for it refitted all ram and the second cpu and its all working and booting into Win7. All ram and both cpus recognised.

I'm at a loss to explain it tbh, the failed Win10 install previously is when all this went pear shaped. I won't be upgrading to that anytime soon. I won't try the newer BIOS either !

I'm gonna go and secure the cpu fans etc properly and hopefully it'll be on BONIC again soon.

PDW

PDW

Associate
Ok guys, its all working again !

I dunno how but I just used one cpu and ram stick reinstalled Win7 Pro. Shutdown each time to check all for ram sticks, then swapped the cpus and it booted every time. Then I went for it refitted all ram and the second cpu and its all working and booting into Win7. All ram and both cpus recognised.

I'm at a loss to explain it tbh, the failed Win10 install previously is when all this went pear shaped. I won't be upgrading to that anytime soon. I won't try the newer BIOS either !

I'm gonna go and secure the cpu fans etc properly and hopefully it'll be on BONIC again soon.
Good news :)

If you don't want to be at a loss I'd try Win 10 again :D
But maybe you need the newer BIOS to make it work :D:D

PDW

PDW

Associate
Still suspecting memory, I'd want to test it to confirm there are no problems with it before looking elsewhere.

Associate
Ok when I remove the 2nd cpu and all but 1 ram stick it boots again.

How can I test the ram guys? I think there is defo one ram stick that has an intermittent fault maybe...

Associate
install one stick at a time and run mem test on each stick

does it run if you install both cpus and then 1 stick of ram per cpu?

I just realised I can get away with 2 cpus and only one stick ram per cpu. I was actually putting the single stick in wrong slot. I've downloaded memtest86 and created a bootusb for that.

Will update you later guys, lots of testing ahead tonight. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Associate
Look what I've done ! No more 780ti, no its a 980ti and a 970 in Midas now and she seems stable again.
Currently testing with NFS and its going ok. Not pretty but it works !

twZqQaah.jpg.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom