• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PowerColor Radeon R9 290 unlocked into R9 290X?

Soldato
OP
Couldn't this just be GPU-Z seeing the X bios and reporting the corresponding shader count from its database? How does it query these stats?

Plenty of people have already tried this already so I guess not, otherwise we would've heard by now.

No.

The OP ran tests with stock 290 bios VS 290X bios at same clocks, the 290X got better scores, would only be possible if extra shaders had unlocked.

So far it's only the Powercolor 290 OC model that can be bios unlocked to the full 290X.

Associate
This is mega news. Has anyone on OcUK got one to confirm this actually works?

OcUK need to stock this card :(

Also, not to hijack thread, but would 2 x 290 be much better than 2 x 680GTX SLI for gaming purposes at 2560 x 1600?

Associate

Also, not to hijack thread, but would 2 x 290 be much better than 2 x 680GTX SLI for gaming purposes at 2560 x 1600?

Well my 2x7950's were better than my 2x670's at a higher resolution.

2X 290's will be a lot better.

OcUK Staff

Stock a card on an internet rumour, nope.

We don't see it, these cards are all built by AMD, they are all identical reference designs and flashing them only changes the clock speeds, the shaders can't be unlocked.

Soldato
AGP Nvidia 6800LE cards had the potential to unlock from 8 pixel pipelines to 16 pixel pipelines making them nearly as fast as a 6800GT.

Those were the days for the budget hardware owner.

I had one of these but I thought it unlocked to a 6800 Ultra. IIRC it was a BIOS update that did the trick.

It was a massive boost back then for the money paid.

Back
Top Bottom