iPhone 5s - worth getting or avoid?

Soldato
I know nothing at all about iPhones, but Mrs Cheesyboy is making noises about wanting one to replace her Xperia Z1C, with contract ending imminently.

Being used to paying approx £15-£18 per month, and having no real need of cutting edge phone tech (she wants a fairly decent camera, is all), I was considering pushing her towards an iPhone 5s for £18/month.

Is there any reason this wouldn't be a good buy?

Soldato
You can get iPhone SE 64Gb for almost zero up front and £25/month with 2 GB data these days. I've been looking into smaller smartphones as I rarely use my Galaxy S4 but want something that's not underpowered, it seems fairly ideal tbh.

5s is a little too old especially with the iPhone 7 expected to be announced/pre-order in September.

Associate
I use an iPhone 5s as my daily driver and have the alternate view that it's still a perfectly capable phone with plenty of life left. My partner has an iPhone SE so it's not the case that I haven't seen anything faster, but when using the SE I swiftly came to the conclusion that there simply wasn't enough difference to justify an upgrade.

Now admitted I bought mine 12 months or so ago so it made more sense then, but I'd wager it still has another year of life left in it and for the money makes a relatively good buy if you want a cheap way of getting into the iOS world.

Soldato
I use an iPhone 5s as my daily driver and have the alternate view that it's still a perfectly capable phone with plenty of life left. My partner has an iPhone SE so it's not the case that I haven't seen anything faster, but when using the SE I swiftly came to the conclusion that there simply wasn't enough difference to justify an upgrade.

Now admitted I bought mine 12 months or so ago so it made more sense then, but I'd wager it still has another year of life left in it and for the money makes a relatively good buy if you want a cheap way of getting into the iOS world.

This.

RTJ

Soldato
There is a big jump in performance between the 5 and the 5s. But almost none between the 5s and 6. It has the same 1GB ram, has a fingerprint sensor and almost the same speed. Good camera and everything works. I'd be surprised it it doesn't get all the updates for the next 2yrs at least. Apple keeps updating phones the longest of anyone. The only draw back IMO is the smaller screen and smaller battery.

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2014/09/...android-flagships-performance-benchmarks.html

The OH has a iPhone 5s. I think its fast and everything works really well. We've a bunch of androids in the house, and I'm currently on a Moto G 4th gen and Lumia. To be honest I think I prefer her iPhone. I'm not really a fan of Android. But not sure if I could live with smaller screen and battery. Also I think the reception on all metal body phones isn't as good as plastic phones.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
She's got a Z5C arriving Tuesday - £16/month with enough data for her uses. Following this thread, I advised against the iPhone on the basis of it being a bit old tech, plus the small screen (personally, I would love a small screen phone (3.5" ideally), but Mrs C wants something a bit bigger, whilst still being ok in the pocket).

Given that I'll be the one sorting out any issues, I'm happier with her going for the familiar Android, rather than having to learn a new OS.

So the iPhone adventure will have to wait in the Cheesy household. Probably until the kids are old enough to give me **** about wanting one....

Thanks again for the tips

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd be surprised it it doesn't get all the updates for the next 2yrs at least. Apple keeps updating phones the longest of anyone.

Its funny... I read that statement and guffawed to myself thinking "yeah right..." then did a bit of reading and realised they really do..
In android land only Googles own Nexus devices are remotely comparable in terms of time supported for. Learn somthing new every day!

Caporegime
5S was the first 64bit iPhone so should have a relatively good lifespan, Apple are good with supporting previous generations, they do manage to slow older devices to the point of uselessness with each new release of iOS however. I moved from a 5S to a 6S and although the 5S felt fine it was a noticeable nicer using the 6S.

Soldato
5S was the first 64bit iPhone so should have a relatively good lifespan, Apple are good with supporting previous generations, they do manage to slow older devices to the point of uselessness with each new release of iOS however. I moved from a 5S to a 6S and although the 5S felt fine it was a noticeable nicer using the 6S.

The 5s and 6 and 6 plus are very close in performance.

There is a big jump though between the iPhone 6 and 6s.

This. Support is one thing, proper optimisation is another.

The 5s, 6 and 6 plus are all similar hardware & performance. They would be unlikely to treat them differently.

Soldato
3 generations old doesnt make it a bad phone.

I still use my Samsung s5 901f, which has 2 phones released after it and I am still very happy with it. I also consider it superior to later models as well because of the removable battery and sdcard.

Back
Top Bottom