Vive price hike

Associate
I wonder if this will be a case of the price goes up but when the pound improves they conveniently forget to lower the price, or am I being a little bit cynical :)

Soldato
Well given the exchange rate it's hardly surprising...

Unfortunately HTC aren't a charity and need to protect their profit margins on the devices sold. If the Pound suddenly is worth much less in dollars then the previously calculated UK price will need to be adjusted given that the majority of their manufacturing/distribution costs are in currencies other than pound sterling.

I'm sure they would rather have kept the price lower - it would have meant selling more and establishing the market in the UK more quickly. Can't expect them to eat a huge loss on what is a drastically weaker pound though.

Soldato
They could have avoided hiking the price by more than the currency drop has altered it but i doubt it will affect sales much, most people will be waiting for 2nd gen VR.

Soldato
They could have avoided hiking the price by more than the currency drop has altered it but i doubt it will affect sales much, most people will be waiting for 2nd gen VR.

Did they though?

In the months prior to the Brexit vote, the pound was happily bouncing around the 1.45 dollar mark... after the vote it's been bouncing around the 1.32 mark.

So that's about a 9% difference.

Previous price of the Vive was £689, which with an additional 9% is £751

Seems pretty close to me personally. I don't like the higher price but it's a pretty inevitable consequence of the poor exchange rate. Unfortunately a lot of our tech and gadgets will be most likely be noticeably more expensive over the next couple of years :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom