Data already present on disks bought - are they second hand?

Associate
OP
Just got my replacement drives (kudos for speed!), and again this is odd - 2 of them have "better looking" plastic bags, with a desiccant pouch, and those are completely empty. But the third one (on a crappier bag) already has data on it (disk 0 on the screenshot). I'm going to test all of them, but this is weird. Any explanation, Bailey?

fKqTUwQ.png
63i9t9w.jpg

Associate
Frankly, even if the drive is free of errors, this kind of service is unacceptable, that a mistake can happen once, sure, I'll accept that, but twice, and with a bag that obviously looks opened and re-used, and a drive that's evidently been used, points to a breakdown in the supply chain somewhere, that somewhere likely being returns processing since there's no way in hell that third drive came from the factory like that.

I'd honestly suggest getting on the phone ASAP and having a serious conversation with someone in management about this, and even if the drive is free of errors I'd RMA them anyway as you paid for a new product, not a used one of questionable quality.

Associate
The first batch were all sealed in tear-open bags, so that is definitely a WD factory issue. This one looks more like a warehousing mix-up.

That third bag is what I'm more familiar with - sealed with a sticker I presume?

Associate
So it was actually thermally sealed? I wouldn't have thought that OCUK packed and sealed the drives like that themselves, so it could be another WD foul-up.

I'm sure Bailey/CS will sort this out for you. I know how frustrating stupid things like this can be!

Soldato
The drive arrived with 1Gb partitions present? 4 of them?
That seems, very, very strange.

-edit I am going to monitor this thread, and hold off on any HD purchases until this is explained and resolved.

Soldato
Smells to me as if WD are just putting returns straight back into new.

Nothing inherently wrong with that, but clearly need more thorough testing.....

-Leezer-

Man of Honour
Smells to me as if WD are just putting returns straight back into new.

Nothing inherently wrong with that, but clearly need more thorough testing.....

-Leezer-

Going by the reviews on a certain other site seems not an uncommon complaint that people are getting factory sealed but obviously used drives of this model.

Soldato
If there are known issues with these drives then I'd even be happy with OCUK opening the drives, testing them and re-packing them with their own "certified by us" sticker.

Terrible that such a respected brand feel they can treat consumers like this.

Man of Honour
/me reads WD Red thread on QNap forums
/me reads WD Red thread on Synology forums
/me strikes WD Reds off any purchase list ever

(To be fair you can find complaints about most drives but those have some of the worst reputation in those cases).

Man of Honour
This is terrible - I've been using wd reds in my nas boxes. Will have to think twice next time.

They used to be the drives to go to for that kind of use - looks like something has gone badly wrong since the 3TB release.

Back
Top Bottom