Onda v975w Tablet - Windows 8 with 'Retina' Screen review.

Soldato
Mini Review of my Onda v975w :

Ial0FZm.jpg

Specs :

CPU: 64-bit Bay Trail-T Z3735F ,22nm,1.83GHz,support Burst Technology 2.0
GPU: Gen7,support DirectX 11
RAM 2GB DDR3L
Storage 32GB eMMC
Bluetooth: Support
HDMI: Support
Shell Material Metal
Screen: Capacitive Touchscreen, 2048*1536 High-resolution Screen
Size: 9.7 inch
Resolution: 2048*1536 Pixels
Visible Angle: 178°
Screen PPI: 264
Display: Retina IPS Screen
Daul Camera:Front 2.0 Megapixels,Back 5.0 Megapixels Auto Foucus
Onda V975w Win8 Tablet Details:
Speakers: Dual AAC Speaker
Video: HD Videp Play with formats of MP4/3GP/3G2/RM/RMVB/ASF/FLAC/APE/MOV etc.
Gravity Sensor Yes
Multi-Touch Yes, 10 points touch
OTG: Yes
Play Store: Yes, built in
Extend Card Support TF card up to 32GB extended
Email and Browser: Yes, built in
WIFI: Yes, 802.11 b/g/n
Earphone Interface 3.5mm
Video 1080P, AVI/MOV/MP4/RMVB/FLV/MKV…
Music MP3/WMA/WAV/APE/AAC/FLAC/OGG
Ebook UMD, TXT, PDF, HTML, RTF, FB2…
Battery : 7800 mAh
Weight: 495g
Size: 241*169*8.5mm

Screen :

Its a Lovely screen, with it being the main reason i upgraded to this from my old tablet as i wanted the higher resolution of 2048*1536 Pixels (IPS 10 point touch). It simply looks amazing compared to the usual 1280 x 800 tablets. The colors and especially the Blacks are great and i also have no screen bleed. The only down side is it could be a little brighter on the highest setting but its still perfectly fine for my uses. 9/10

Design & Build quality :

With small bezels and a thin build (8.5mm) as well as a aluminium back it looks and feels like a premium tablet. It was a big upgrade over my samsung note 10.1. I would give it full marks but my tablet had a little bit of glue under the screen which i don't notice when its turned on but its still abit annoying. I could have returned the tablet for a different one which would have cost £20 in postage but i didn't think it was worth it as it doesn't bother me that much. Its also worth pointing out that i haven't heard of anyone else having this problem so it seems it was a one off and could have happened with any brand of tablet. 9/10

Ports & Connectivity

It has pretty much all your bog standard ports such as a Micro-SD slot which officially says it fits 32GB but ive had a samsung 64GB in there. It Has a micro HDMI slot and a headphone jack. I've also used a OTG cable with it fine. It has wireless N and i get 30MB/s on Speedtest.net from my 150mb internet which is about right as thats what my laptop gets as well. It also has bluetooth 4. 8/10

Camera

Has a 5mp on the back and a 2mp on the front. There both pretty poo really. There decent enough for skype and thats about it, but then again what else do you really need it for on a tablet? 5/10

Battery life and performance

Battery life is average for this price point with browsing the net on half brightness getting you around 5-6 hours. Watching films also gets you about the same battery time.

You get 32GB Storage with about 20GB left to use but it also has the Micro SD slot so this is not a problem.

The performance is great with everything being snappy with hardly any noticeable lag which is surprising as it is running the full version of windows 8.1. It handles Mircosoft office with ease. It can play games such as WoW , Half life 2 , Sims 4 , fifa 14 , DOTA 2 , SC2 and get 30+fps on low at 720p . It also runs Dreamcast and PSX emulators perfect. 8/10

Value for money

It cost me £150 including shipping, there were no import fees. You also get 1 years Office 365 which includes 1TB of cloud storage. All in all i think its a bargain. 10/10

Final rating 8/10

Heres a quick video to show you how quick it is. ( Couldn't get the whole screen in )

I've never done a review before so if ive missed anything out or if you have any questions let me know.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would highly recommend people read the onda forums as these out the box require a some level of work before they work perfectly, well this was certainly the case when i wanted to purchase one 2-3 months ago. Although most problems have now been ironed out. Its what put me off these, so do your research well before jumping.

Soldato
OP
Looks nice, does it charge via USB?

Yes it charges by USB

I would highly recommend people read the onda forums as these out the box require a some level of work before they work perfectly, well this was certainly the case when i wanted to purchase one 2-3 months ago. Although most problems have now been ironed out. Its what put me off these, so do your research well before jumping.

Yeh this was the case when i purchased this a few months ago and i had to update the firmware. But from what i have read the new stock has the updated firmware which sorted the problems with the first batch.

Man of Honour
Can you charge and use USB at the same time?

Most of these type of tablets are based around the same core baytrail SoC/mainboard and don't support charging and USB functionality at the same time, some can be tricked into working with various degrees of success - which I'm guessing you probably knew from the question heh.

Not sure what to make of the higher resolution as Windows and UI scaling is a bit hit and miss at the best of times and unlike Android/IOS where its mostly used just to increase the quality of text, etc. you tend to end up generally with it working as more screen estate but a lot smaller text/icons which makes it more fiddly on a touchscreen hence why many of the sub 10" Windows tablets are 1280x800.

Soldato
Sorry to bump an old post, but how are you getting on with this tablet?
Does it have a companion keyboard folio style case?

I'm looking at the Onda v102w, just not sure yet. Would be interesting to hear your impressions after an extended period of time with the device.

Soldato
OP
for the money Onda do good tablets. The only problem is they have a few niggles such as drivers and firmware. The only problem i have had with mine was with wifi, but that has now been sorted via new drivers. I would not buy a release day product but would wait until its been out for about 6 months before purchasing one so all the bugs are ironed out.

Man of Honour
Telcast x70 has the new Intel x3 , I'm not sure if others have started using them yet.

For the price I'm so tempted to get the core m. Saying they should have stock this week.
3 things I'm mainly worried about though.
1) cost of returning if I'm not happy with it, I expect most units must have some issue with them for that price, quality control isn't going to be high.
2) battery capacity and charge rate. Are the batteries going to be like most Chinese products like half the advertised capacity.
3) is the touch screen going to be any good.

Suppose the sensible thing to do, would be wait a month or so and see if anyone does review and maybe it'll turn up on a popular site, which as it would be fulfilled by a uk company better protection.

Cube i7 stylus also looks interesting. Only 1080p display but larger battery had USB 3, apparently v919 will only be usb2, also 16:9 screen ratio, which I prefer.

Last edited:
Associate
For the price I'm so tempted to get the core m. Saying they should have stock this week.

Suppose the sensible thing to do, would be wait a month or so and see if anyone does review and maybe it'll turn up on a popular site, which as it would be fulfilled by a uk company better protection.

Cube i7 stylus also looks interesting. Only 1080p display but larger battery had USB 3, apparently v919 will only be usb2, also 16:9 screen ratio, which I prefer.
So tempted to get a Core-M tablet, but already have a baytrail 10in and 8in so cant really justify it. GPU looks like its miles ahead of the baytrail which just was on the verge of just playable on so many games.

Man of Honour
So tempted to get a Core-M tablet, but already have a baytrail 10in and 8in so cant really justify it. GPU looks like its miles ahead of the baytrail which just was on the verge of just playable on so many games.

I'm only on surface 2, so it's time for an upgrade. And as much as I would live a surface pro 4, I can't relay afford it.
Think I will go for a cube i7 stylus. They're having a sale on the 23rd.

Associate

I have a Cube i7 stylus on order. A friend received his last week I am well impressed with it. Build quality is really good and the performance is excellent. I was originally going to buy a Teclast X98 air ii as like the Onda 975w has the so-called 'retina' display, 2048 x 1536, but really the 1080 screen on the Cube i7 stylus is already pretty good.

One thing to note with the core m tablets however is battery. Whilst the performance is excellent, you need to decide what you're mainly using the device for. If it's primarily for consumption like you would use an iPad for, you might want a cheaper atom-based tablet. My friend gets around 5 hours with the Cube i7 stylus, which is ok but not as good as the Teclast X98 air ii for example that easily gets 7h.

Back
Top Bottom