Best air cooler

Associate
Hi

What would be the best air cooler for a 5820k or an i7 6700k (not decided which one I'll get). I have a Coolermaster Cosmos S case.

Cheers
S

Associate
Unsatisfactory noise levels from the Corsairs maybe? They dominate the market so you really don't know about much other AIOs.

yea Im wanting to get rid of my AIO for a high end air cooler.

Im tempted on the NH-D15 but I also like the look of the Phanteks PH-TC14PE I just cant decide.

Im going to see about some vengeance LP ram as well so I can get the 2nd fan sitting where it should.

Associate
Why are you dumping the AIO, out of curiosity?
Ive been tempted to try an air cooler for a while and Ive read to much on the corsair's leaking recently and even though I got the H80i sealed I never purchased it new so don't have proof of purchase. so if for some reason it was to fail I would be royally screwed so as I say it has been in my head for a while to try a top end air cooler so why not..

I can sell the H80i on and if through time I decide to go back to a AIO ill buy one new.

Soldato
Well, as Greybeard will no doubt pop in to say, as these are heat sealed at the factory, it's 99% never going to leak now. If it did it would in the first few hours of operation.

You'll be fine on that front.

Associate
Well, as Greybeard will no doubt pop in to say, as these are heat sealed at the factory, it's 99% never going to leak now. If it did it would in the first few hours of operation.

You'll be fine on that front.
yea ive heard that... but ive also saw recent posts of ones that have worked fine for a few years then leaked... mines has been in use about 12 month by me so my thoughts is ill move on before it starts having issues.. plus Ive read reviews on the NH-D15 and the Phanteks that put them inline with the H110/H100i for keeping the cpu cool.. so surely theyll be just as good as the H80i if not slightly better

Soldato
yea ive heard that... but ive also saw recent posts of ones that have worked fine for a few years then leaked... mines has been in use about 12 month by me so my thoughts is ill move on before it starts having issues.. plus Ive read reviews on the NH-D15 and the Phanteks that put them inline with the H110/H100i for keeping the cpu cool.. so surely theyll be just as good as the H80i if not slightly better

They'll probably do the same, yeah.

If you include the Swifttech H140x though, don't think there's any contest. Might be worth a look?

Associate
They'll probably do the same, yeah.

If you include the Swifttech H140x though, don't think there's any contest. Might be worth a look?
Ive looked at a few. the only one that jumps out at me is the Fractal Design Kelvin S24 but as I say.. Im willing to give an Air cooler a go for the moment. if through time I decide I want to go back to an AIO then Ill look and see what's available.

Caporegime
Go on then, what's the 5820k load and idle temps? :p
Idle temps are late 20's. At load at 4.5ghz using intel XTU one core gets to 83c max. Voltage at 1.322. This is quick n dirty overclock testing. Voltage might be able to drop for that clock speed. For me it is getting the time to do so. For reference, my old 4790k at 4.7ghz on a very high end maximus 6 formula Z87 board hit 83c on real bench using 1.300v.

Associate
my old 4790k at 4.7ghz on a very high end maximus 6 formula Z87 board hit 83c on real bench using 1.300v.

Im hitting 67c on my 4690k on realbench @ 4.5Ghz and 1.250v with the H80i

so take into account your extra volts and clock and the extra threads... that isint to bad!!

EDIT that's with the H80i set to performance!! so it gets noisy..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom