New pc help

Associate
It's several years now since I last looked at pc hardware so please excuse some of the questions if they are obvious !
I'm looking to build myself a pc
Budget is up to 800
For games (mostly old games) and general use
Needs to be reliable,
A console type small black box case,
As quiet as possible in budget
I was looking at i5 4690 + gtx 960 or similar but have no real preference for Intel or AMD.
SSD drive for the O/s , conventional hard disk for storage
I need a new keyboard and mouse but have a monitor
8 gb fast ram
I do need an O/S but have a 32 bit win7 key
And DVD. Can that be used and upgraded?
Noticed that DVD drives are not often used - is that because USB storage is now so cheap?
Also for wifi are most machines being connected directly to routers or are USB wireless adapters used ? I would like a built in wifi on this.
Any advice on these questions or on specific components?
I could buy a package system but would enjoy doing a self build, although I could easily buy incompatible kit such as cards that don't fit the case or the wrong processor or Ram
Thanks

Associate
that looks good to me..
Ive got the same motherboard, cpu bundle and I can highly recommend it.
Ive also got the same case... and again no complaints here

there might be a few folk will come along and try and change you to a higher end psu but I rate the be quiet PSU's as being good ones. only thing I would say is its always worth looking at a modular PSU.

if youre planning on gaming it would be worth getting a better cooler than the stock one. also order a few fans as the case only comes with 1 140mm at the rear.

Ive got 3 120mm fans on the front, 1 140mm on the rear as an exhaust and a 140mm on the roof that's currently not in use

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply. I didn't follow up on this at the time so here is another go using the current deals I could see and having read up a bit more.

Any ideas on how to improve on it ? Will the CPU and GPU be a good match ?

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £955.88
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Associate
OP
Hi and thanks for your comments
I have the sapphire 390 already from the Black Friday deal but nothing else.
I'm not a regular gamer in fact I don't even have a working computer at the moment ! Saying that I'd rather not buy poor quality kit as it's likely I'll keep this for quite a few years so will do some reading up.
Any prefs on the case ? Would a fractal R5 be a better fit ?
Do I need 16 gb of memory ?

Soldato
Hi and thanks for your comments
I have the sapphire 390 already from the Black Friday deal but nothing else.
I'm not a regular gamer in fact I don't even have a working computer at the moment ! Saying that I'd rather not buy poor quality kit as it's likely I'll keep this for quite a few years so will do some reading up.
Any prefs on the case ? Would a fractal R5 be a better fit ?
Do I need 16 gb of memory ?

The Fractal R5 is a nice case. If you want one a bit cheaper then check out the Fractal Define S.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/fractal-design-define-s-midi-tower-case-black-window-ca-029-fd.html

Ram is pretty cheap these days, so if it fits in your budget then it won't do any harm to get 16GB.

If you only plan on running a single R9 390 then swap the psu to the Corsair RM650X.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...lar-power-supply-cp-9020091-uk-ca-209-cs.html

Associate
OP
Those are all really good ideas that I may well go with.
I think the fractal S looks great for what I want.
I'm also not going to get the cheap keyboard as I have an old extremely plastic one here that I can use for now along with a monitor.

Back
Top Bottom